Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In case you guys haven't noticed I've showed an interest in coyotes my friend told me about this and I thought I'd ask you guys.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In case you guys haven't noticed I've showed an interest in coyotes my friend told me about this and I thought I'd ask you guys.

In case you guys haven't noticed I've showed an interest in coyotes my friend told me about this and I thought I'd ask you guys. Ok If I throw a duck decoy out in a field and go nuts on it and it sounds like a injured duck could that entice a coyote?

My speculation is that it is highly unlikely but you never know. I've called lots of coyotes to a rabbit call and I have blown lots of duck calls in the same area without ever seeing a coyote respond. I suspect that if you could immitate the sound of an attacked duck rather than a duck recognition or feeding call, the coyote might be attracted. We have had several occassions where coyotes came to turkey calls and turkey decoys and actually jumped the decoys... never ducks though.

Comment

How is a decoy going to alert a coyote by you shooting it? Other than him knowing someone's going nuts over there and he better stay away. You could go nuts on an actual dead duck and no sound will be made, but yours. Maybe I misread your post.

Comment

Its worth a shot. Coyotes are very curious, one may take a peek on your operation and you may never know it. But who knows, if your decoy looks real enough and your calls sound enticing enough he just might give you a shot.

Comment

Sounds like a plan, coyotes are curious animals so it would work... but the only downfall is that they are also very jumpy and somewhat smart. You might be able to catch a coyote who doesnt know any better but mature coyotes know not to waste their time with birds that could fly away. But maybe the distress duck call would help with that... but I dont know how you would produce a sound like that? Truthfully, a distressed bunny has always worked the best for me.

Comment

Try it and let us know how it worked. Might break some new ground here.

Comment

I agree with Del. Try it. What've you got to lose? I had one come to my rattling horns during deer season, and my cousin shot one that came to his turkey call last month.

Comment

I don't know the answer to your question about the duck decoy, but maybe this will help with varmint calling in general. My friend and I would work with the wind in our faces, one caller and the other the shooter. We would use #6 monofiliment fishing line and tie a feather or some fur on the end and then go about 30 yards away and start to call. The guy doing the calling was the one who always worked the string to make the fur jump a little bit. It worked great on Fox and to a lesser degree on coyote. Easy to pick up and move to the next stand as well. Good luck hunting!

Comment

I have had really good luck with a rabbit in destress call. It worked the first time I used it and I thought I sounded like an idiot. They are really cheap and easy to use.

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                        by Ontario Honker Hunter
                        Pighunter: I don't need to speak for Christ. His message is clear enough and simple enough for anyone to grasp. There is no such thing as God's chosen....
                        Today, 12:15 PM
                      • 16 Years
                        by jhjimbo
                        So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                        Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                      • Reply to 16 Years
                        by Ontario Honker Hunter
                        Har, har. Nice try. And just what do you think drove earliest societal construction? Survival of the family unit/herd. It's ingrained in our DNA through...
                        Today, 12:06 PM
                      • Reply to 16 Years
                        by PigHunter
                        OHH, I totally disagree with you. That's a ridiculous statement that "Blind partisinism (sic) is racism in a sheep's clothing." Do you even...
                        Today, 11:59 AM
                      • Reply to 16 Years
                        by jhjimbo
                        If she gets to carry out a fraction of HER agenda, you will be very disappointed. Even the Dems at the debate only gave her a 5% approval rating and...
                        Today, 11:58 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X