Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would I get in trouble for using 12 ga. 7.5 shot on a coyte? And could I do it.(I'm a pretty good shot if thats got anything to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would I get in trouble for using 12 ga. 7.5 shot on a coyte? And could I do it.(I'm a pretty good shot if thats got anything to

Would I get in trouble for using 12 ga. 7.5 shot on a coyte? And could I do it.(I'm a pretty good shot if thats got anything to do with it.)

Why would you get in trouble? I mean it should be fine... as long as your not firing from point blank range.

Comment

No. Don't do it. Use T or F or size 4 buck, or bigger.

Comment

I killed a coyote once with a 12 ga Browning Auto 5 and yes it did kill the coyote. One of two things killed the Coyote after shooting it 47 times with #5 bird shot; did it die from shooting it 47 times or did it die from Lead Poisoning.

Bottom Line,

I wouldn’t use nothing smaller than #4 Buck and at close range!

Comment

Go bigger, no need to risk a bad shot/kill .

Comment

Shotguns are legal, but use bigger shot.

Comment

Never shoot at a coyote with 7 1/2 shot (unless you are within 5 feet). It will barely penetrate their fur and will just give them a lot of pain. 4 buck is good for them within 40 yards. Most pellets will penetrate completely and therefore be lethal.

Comment

Lets face it, 7 1/2 shot is for the birds, and just won't cut it on coyotes from any sort of distance. If you are planning on shooting a coyote from more than 40 yards, which is very common, try using a rifle and a well placed shot.

Comment

Like everyone else has already said its not illegal in most states but still check regulations to make sure but I can't see there being anything wrong with it. I've seen coyotes killed with bird shot but I've also seen some run away after being shot 5 times with 4 shot. If you're hunting specifically coyotes I would use nothing less than #4 buck.

Comment

Would you get in trouble? I don't see why, but your conscience should probably give you hell for it. I wouldn't use anything smaller than BB and I would keep everything within 20-30 yards with shot that small.

Comment

I don't believe that #7 1/2 shot will do the job for you other than point blank range. This shot size is design for bird hunting(excellent on early season grouse)and is way to small for your purpose. The majority of coyote hunters up here use #1 buck in 3 1/2" shells, at least the ones I know do.

Comment

That is too small for me.

Comment

Agreed with herbie57_57 and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad