Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what can i use to attract coon possum and sqirrel

what can i use to attract coon possum and sqirrel

I'd suggest hanging a bird feeder and leaving the lids off the garbage cans. That works about a hundred percent of the time no matter where you live.

If you're talking about a trail camera in the woods, I'd try corn for squirrels. Raccoons have a big sweet tooth. Trappers use everying from marshmallows to honey to powdered donuts. Oily fish and fish oil work too. Possums are pretty much attracted to anything.

Every winter I put a camera over a deer gut pile or two. I almost always get photos of possums and raccoons. They are both pretty omnivorous.

Comment

Corn is great for Squirrels and Strawberry Twizzlers for Deer,Raccoons. Possums like dog food and fish and fish guts.

Comment

I'll second allegmtn! Lid off trash can is the best attractant known to man!

Comment

Peanut butter spread on limbs, peanuts in shells, bird feed, sunflower seeds, pecans, all work for squirrels. If you really want to attract them put something out that you don't want them into and they will come. LOL For possum and coon dog food either dry or canned works well.

Comment

Every bait pile I put out for deer bought in coons, possums, skunks, ground hogs and squirrels. My trail cameras got photos of all of them eating at the bait pile.
            I use corn, apples, sweet potatoes, donuts, sticky buns, rolls, sugar beets, bird seed, mineral block, horse feed and pour a gallon of molasses all over the bait pile.
            Bon Appetit!

Comment

Gary,
              Sounds like a four star buffet.

Comment

jhjimbo, LOL

Comment

Our fig tree works pretty good at attracting possums, luckily we don't have racoons.

Comment

Sliced fresh peaches work well for trapping raccoons in live traps when suspended from the top to keep them free of ants.

Comment

Speaking of corn, I once left a plastic garbage pail in the woods with a bag of corn inside.
                      The next day, I found that something had chewed a hole through the plastic lid. When I lifted the lid, a squirrel jumped out. I suspect he may have had some help from a raccoon.

Comment

for coons and possums i use a mixture of brown sugar molasses with fish oil and dry dog food, I roll the biggest marshmallows i can find in that mixture

Comment

THANKS everyone you all are very helpful keep the info coming
                          that is if yall can learn something new to attract them in

Comment

Opossums like fruit plus any of your food scraps just throw them out and wait.

Comment

peanut butter works for all 3

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump
                                by Danbo
                                No that's confirmed!...
                                Today, 05:09 PM
                              • Trump
                                by Danbo
                                https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                                04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by FirstBubba
                                I guess you got that from a unanimous source?

It's no good for (D)'s unless the source is unanimous! 👀...
                                Today, 05:05 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by Danbo
                                Breaking news Hillary used FBI , and CIA as her own Gestapo against Trump campaign.
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by Danbo
                                Trump landslide 2020.

Biden asks for 4 10 minute breaks what a bum.

Now Bid en refuses to get drug tested what is he afraid...
                                Today, 04:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X