Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenjacket95
    replied
    If you have time and money you can hunt foxes with hounds. Hunting foxes this way requires a lot of time to train dogs. It also requires several hunters to keep track of dogs and foxes. It works best with snow in the ground, as it makes the track easier to see. GPS collars and handheld radios help keep the chase organized. Again, this approach is expensive if you don't have equipment already.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    All the foxes I have shot were incidental to deer hunting. Like bobcats, they are a target of opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• Nate Nance
    replied
    With a gun.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    My favorite fox hunting is done in late January or early February when they are mating. The females dig new dens and you can usually see the the fresh dirt on snow from about 5 miles away. I drive around and spot the new dens and every day drive a circuit of the ones I have located. If it is a sunny day, I can drive the circuit all day.

Males travel to visit the females at their new dens and will lay on top of the dens while the female is inside. The females won't let the males come into the den so they are usually quite visible on the snow from a very long distance.

I work to sneak up on them, trying to get within 500 yards or so. I use my trusty 25-06 Sendero with 100g Sierra Game Kings or my .223 Bushmaster with 50g V-Maxs to pick them off. On sunny days, I often see foxes moving around on the snow too. I feel like I am doing my part to save a few pheasants this way.

Leave a comment:

• Knife Freak
    replied
    I would agree either hunt them with a rabbit in distress call or trap them. Other than that is just a target of opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    need to hunt fox at night. ive always hunted them in the woods, but they arent as bright as a coyote and can be lured out into fields on occasion. cottontail in distress is usually my go to when fox hunting. they arent particular about the type of light you use. get a good light and use it to scan back and forth. when you see his eyes coming towards you at a distance dont keep the light on him, keep scanning back and forth. light him up when he gets within gun range.

Leave a comment:

• huntersboy
    started a topic What is the best way to hunt foxes?

What is the best way to hunt foxes?

What is the best way to hunt foxes?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Voter Fraud
    by bowhunter75richard
    When uneducated people continue to vote for the man instead of the agenda of a party, we will continue to see the BS that is being reported to us after...
    Today, 02:23 PM
  • Voter Fraud
    by bowhunter75richard
    For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
    11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
  • Reply to Copper bullets
    by Sarge01
    Like I said before I didn't have very good results with Barnes Triple Shocks. This year I loaded 165 grain Hornady SST's in my 300WSM. I shot an 8...
    Today, 02:20 PM
  • Copper bullets
    by Brad P
    So I’m sure it’s been asked already, but I haven’t found the answer I was looking for. With the newer solid copper bullets that are being made theses...
    11-05-2020, 11:48 AM
  • Reply to Voter Fraud
    by 99explorer
    BHR -
    I guess you didn't read my comment #222 just a few minutes ahead of yours.
    It explains everything.
    Today, 02:16 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X