Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here is a question for the predator hunters on here. How much do you think hunting pressure effects your success rate when calli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is a question for the predator hunters on here. How much do you think hunting pressure effects your success rate when calli

Here is a question for the predator hunters on here. How much do you think hunting pressure effects your success rate when calling coyotes with an electronic call. Just wondering cause I was thinking about getting into coyote hunting cause next year because I may be living a lot closer to my grandparents farm but I will still be out of state so my deer and turkey hunting will be limited to when I draw a tag. But I still want to do a lot more hunting on their farm since I will be so close. There are some residents who hunt just about everything in season on my grandparents land. I personally think they way over hunt the place but it's not my farm so that's not my place to do anything. Since I've been doing more hunting out of state they get less run of the place so if I were to pick up coyote hunting the would no longer hunt coyotes there. But here's my question. Could years of coyote hunting educate the coyotes to the point the cant be called in? It's important for me to know this before I go and spend the money for an electronic call.

If you call a particular coyote and take a shot and miss, chances are you will not trick that same coyote again. They learn very quickly.

Comment

They are very smart and once called in a few times your chances go way down to call him in again.

Comment

If the property has been hunted to the point where there are no coyotes remaining, your chances will be diminished. A reduced population is your biggest concern. If enough coyotes remain to make it worth hunting, your call will do the job. An electronic call can produce dozens of sounds so you can work around their knowledge of fumbling hunters with cottontail calls.

They still eat rabbits for dinner nearly every day though and distress calls from rabbits and fawns, etc. are their dinner bell. They will still come. What they get trained in is detecting a human behind the sound. If they are smart, you need to really watch the wind, eliminate movement and call perfectly. I also suggest hunting from a tree to improve your odds. Another tactic that I like is to go out in the middle of the night if it is legal in your state. With snow and a full moon, you can see like in daylight and they come in with reckless abandon. That is an example of a tactic that they don't normally see and you can fool them by trying such different tactics.

Comment

Dakota man, ok that's good to hear. Every year I see coyote while deer hunting so I know there are plenty of them. Is a call on a $200 budget gonna be good enough to do the job? I've seen some foxpros and the primos power dogg in my price range. I would be hunting in wide open terrain so I suppose volume is important.

Comment

If you have a smart phone, you can download sounds and send them to a wireless cone speaker. My nephew just did this and it is great. Not sure what he paid but it should be quite possible in the $25 to #50 range. He has dozens of sounds and it is LOUD! Not sure of the details yet but will talk to him soon to check it out. I've called them with mouth calls and cheap Johnny Stewart calls. I would like cheap electronic calls to be louder but will be moving to smart phone soon.

Comment

DakotaMan, Ya thats a great Idea. Let me know how your nephew does it or if you give it a try how it goes for you. Sounds like a great way to save some money. Do you suppose they are just as effective as the e-calls in the $200-250 range.

Comment

I marvel at how quickly coyotes learn from their mistakes! As a varminter, that has complicated my efforts in the past. I wouldn't invest in an expensive electronic system unless you've personally sighted coyotes on the property and sightings or reports support that there's a decent population on the property. If you hasve that and other properties that are accessible to you, it may well be worth the expense, so it's a judgment call. My favorite site is well-populated by ground squirrels and jackrabbits, and the coyotes are very wary but I've had some success with jackrabbit decoys. I wish you success, since I regard the coyote as the prince of varmints and hitting one is enough to make a long weekend trip well worth the effort for me!

Comment

Edward, I have seen plenty of coyotes on this property. It's around 800 acres total but it's all broke up in sections so I could get a lot of stands out of it I suppose. There is a 150 acre timber but other than that there are a lot of ditches , draws, tall grass, creeks. So I suppose that's enough to hold coyotes. Do you think that's enough land and habittat?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad