Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 inch shells will work just find for turkey hunting wont it? I have always used 31/2. But can you get by with 3 inch shells?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 inch shells will work just find for turkey hunting wont it? I have always used 31/2. But can you get by with 3 inch shells?

3 inch shells will work just find for turkey hunting wont it? I have always used 31/2. But can you get by with 3 inch shells?

last turkey i shot was with a 2.75 inch shell same with a few before that.

Comment

Ok and i didnt think it really mattered. I just here so many people say you only should use 31/2 for more power. What shot size did you use?

Comment

Three inch is fine #6 shot keep more pellets in the head area.

Comment

Hunting92

I've always used standard hi brass seven and a half Win ammo.Mag ain't necessary. Shoot for where the feathers stop and the wattles start on the neck. One pellet in the spine does the job.

Pattern density, not shot size, kills.

Comment

I use high density #6 shot. It drops turkeys like a dynamited bridge. This ammo runs about 3 bucks a shot but you only use a couple each year so expense is not bad. If you want to see the effect click my name and check the photo files. Plenty turkeys in there.

Comment

a 3" will definitely do the job, ive killed one turkey with a 12 gauge using 3" #5's, it did the job quite effectively at 35 yards where he stopped.

but to your point, im also a proponent of shooting big thunder fu#$%& loads at turkeys. i mostly carry a ten gauge loaded with 3 1/2" #4's. ive been looking at moving to blended shells with 4's and 6's but what i use works just fine. ill second bubba on shot placement as well.

Comment

Those guys at the gun shops will try to get you for everything you got. 3" will do fine. I was taking a friend goose hunting one time and sold him a box of 2 3/4" shells cause all the stores were closed and we were going the next morning. He was really wary to buy them cause "the guy at the gun store told me I need 3 1/2" shells". You take smart shots and guide those pellets to the right spot you can take down about any bird with 3" shells. Don't get me wrong, there is a definite advantage to 3 1/2" shells but as long as you shoot within your limits a 3 or 2 3/4" shell will do the same job.

Comment

How do you suppose turkeys were killed before magnum shotgun shells were invented?

Comment

Before there were 3 1/2 inch shells, there were 3 inch, and before that there were 2 3/4 only. Of all the turkeys ever bagged with shotguns, most have been shot using 2 3/4 inch shells.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking 3 or 3 1/2 inch shells give you permission to take long range or unclean shots. If I can't call them in to less than 30 yards and get a clean, unobstructed head/neck shot, I let them walk. It's part of the game that makes gobbler hunting my favorite.

I don't care if you're shooting a punt gun. If you're not taking close, clean shots, you're risking a crippled bird. It's all about your shooting and calling ability much more than the length of the shell.

Comment

You don't need a Sledgehammer to kill a Turkey!!!
                      a good 2.3/4" or 3" load of 4#/6# or Duplex 4x6load will work just fine.

Comment

2 3/4" worked fine for about 100 years. The shells are longer now but I'm not sure that they are taking more turkeys than the shorter ones have taken. It is to your advantage to have as much shot in the pattern as possible but you sure don't have to dislocate your shoulder to kill a turkey. Just use a full choke and you will be fine.

Comment

My hunting partner shot turkeys with 2.75" shells before there were super magnum shells! He shoots 3 1/2" shells now, but it's only because they pattern so well in his gun. He may of switched back to regular 3" but I dunno! I personally shoot Winchester Supreme 3" #4 shot. But I've heard really good things about the blended rounds that use a combination of shot sizes! See what shoots best in YOUR shotgun (with a full choke) and pick that shell! Try different lengths, brands, shot sizes, etc. Good hunting!

Comment

Yes. I shot a rooster that was beating up our chickens with 2 3/4 inch remington target load at 20 yards, nearly blew his head off.

Comment

I shoot 3" #5's. Pattern your gun and find what it likes. Mine liked 5's. A hunting buddy of mine shoots the same gun and choke combo I shoot. For whatever reason his gun shoots fives like crap. He found his does much better with sixes. Also, My wife shoots a 3" #4 in her 20 gauge. It is devistating to turkeys. A 3" 20 gauge is very comparable to a 2 3/4 12 gauge when it comes to the amount of powder and pellets.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad