Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here baits coyotes. If so Id like to pick your brain a bit. Just wondering what you use and how you use it ect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here baits coyotes. If so Id like to pick your brain a bit. Just wondering what you use and how you use it ect?

Who here baits coyotes. If so Id like to pick your brain a bit. Just wondering what you use and how you use it ect?

My buddy has killed 42 coyotes and he uses road killed deer for bait. I think that says alot for what kind of bait to use. He puts it out in an open field where he can see it from 350 yards away where he has a shooting bench set up in his garage. He lives on the edge of his hayfields and pastures and that is where he baits the coyotes into.

Comment

The guys I know who bait them here in MN do the same thing. They also use hides from pigs or cows when they do their butchering.
      F&S had a short article in the last year about a guy who baited them with dog food. He would set up in cover 50-100yds downwind and put the bait about 5-10 yds outside heavy cover near a travel route. He would put out smaller amounts each day to try and get them to come earlier. 7-10 days of baiting and then hunt.

Comment

I use 3or4 Large cans of cheap meat dog food to start a new spot,I dump the food in to a feed sack tie off the end with farm wier then find a spot to stake the sack to a tree or large bolder or use tent spicks,you can hang it from a tree beanch....and let the fun begian.

Comment

When I get a chance to shoot a feral hog, I like to use it as coyote bait.

Comment

In my state you cant hunt them with artifical light. So I have to hunt them in the morning or evenings. Will they feed before dark or will I be wasting my time?

Comment

Also, would it be a good idea to use a rabbit in distress call while hunting over bait?

Comment

So you think if I set my bait out tomorrow afternoon I could hunt it by saturday evening? I know its not long but you know how it is, you got to hunt when you have time. I have a distress mouth call but dont do much yote hunting so maybe this is just my inexperience showing but if I choose to use the mouth call with or without bait should I be calling on it consistently till a yote shows up or should I call in intervals? Like I said I dont coyote hunt but my buddy(who is a deer hunter) says he wants to get some off his grandpas land which he deer hunts on. Naturally I said Id love to help.

Comment

My buddy tht has killed the 42 coyotes said that he hasn't seen any coyotes when he has tried to use a caller along with his bait. All of the coyotes that he has killed have been at daylight.

Comment

I like road kill or livestock die off during winter. I have a local farmer who gives me a call if he has an animal die on him (cow, horse, sheep) I get rid of the body and get coyote bait. I would not use a distress call but i have found that a feeding howl is great and cheap. time of day is not to important with large baits sit one for as long as you can.

Comment

its calving season here so when we lose calves we pile them up and I shoot coyotes off them. Dead livestock make great coyote bait.

Comment

If you are just trying to kill the coyotes, you can place a driveway monitor on your bait pile. Have it buzz in the house when there is an animal on your pile. Get animal scraps from your local farmer, butcher shop, game wardens and police (road kill), taxidermy shops, or grocery stores. If there are large boned pieces in your bait you can wire them down to a stake (tree). Coyotes love dragging stuff off, skulls, all 4 legs , and the mid section all can be wired down and might keep a yote at your piles longer. If calling and decoys go hand in hand, bait piles and patience should be paired as well. Keep the scenario real, a dying bunny generally wont run up to piles of dead calves and begin wailing away its death call. Just like a jack in a box decoy typically wouldnt smell like a pile of rotting flesh. Sarge's friends garage trick is great because it's keeping his scent localized rather than blowing out across the fields, plus he's in the shade, and close to his fridge! We've had coyotes run across lawns, confront house dogs, turn on hunters and hide in horse barns and on door steps. They typically aren't afraid of human presence when it's an ordinary thing, it's when they smell mcdonalds French fries wafting down through a field 4 miles out in the woods. Or your fourwheeler exhaust covered clothing out on a logging road, that's when they get real skiddish and get smart quick. Good luck tricking the same yote twice.

Comment

Well Im not sure what were going to do. Might just try calling them in because we are pressed for time. Whatever we do I will try to let you all know how it worked out.

Comment

I own a butchershop and we use (yote -popcycles). Frozen lungs,liver,spleens and blood. put it all in a 5 gal bucket freeze it. pore warm water over it and it will pop right out. we set baits in several places and go back in a couple of days. If the baits gone we reset and hunt!

Comment

i have alot of buddies who use gut piles and they are at 33 so far this year

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad