Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going on a overnight hunting trip, and will be out by a campfire before the next morning of hunting. I assume the smell of s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going on a overnight hunting trip, and will be out by a campfire before the next morning of hunting. I assume the smell of s

I'm going on a overnight hunting trip, and will be out by a campfire before the next morning of hunting. I assume the smell of smoke scares the animals away, and i won't be able to shower. Will a cover scent of fox or raccoon urine cover up my smell?

Forgot to mention that i'll be hunting coyotes if that matters on which scents i should use.

Comment

No Coyotes are K9 and have 50,000 olfactory receptors. You have 10,000. All he will smell is a Fox that sat by a smokey fire and peed his pants. If there was such a thing as Scent Masking the drug cartels would have patented it years ago. Stay down wind.

Comment

Carl has it right, play the wind. Don't call too much, coyotes often want a visual, or scent verification before they commit to a sound alone. They may try to circle you to come in down wind or atleast get a sighting of the rabbit in distress, or what have you. If you can use your surroundings to keep them from doing so, do it. But the biggest thing is to play the wind. It is for just that reason that a decoy and electronic remote calling system can be a big help.

Comment

how do you know which direction they'll be coming from?

Comment

You don't know what direction they're coming from. Keep the wind in your face and hope they don't circle you. But Carl and Pray-hunt-work have it right they will try to circle and come in down wind. They are very smart and can detect motion very well. You may want to use shooting sticks.

Comment

Coyotes and deer both have an extremely good sense of smell. Like others have said scent cover/ scent killer will not help your cause very much. Play the wind, set out decoy, and be still! A simple decoy could even be as much as a stick, a father, and a string. Tie the string to the father and the stick and let the feather flutter around in the wind. Good luck hunting!

Comment

I hunted elk in the back country, and they had tents with wood burning stoves for heat. Your hunting clothes would smell like smoke in the early morning. I put all my hunting clothes inside large trash bags the night before. I wore a sweat suit inside the kitchen tent.
                In Saskatchewan my guide smoked cigarettes inside the truck cab early in the morning, while driving me to my hunting location. Again, my hunting clothing were inside trash bags. Don't mess with success.

Comment

Gary; Can’t agree more +1

Comment

The coyote has a nose that revivals the deer's. I hunt them daily. They will try and come in from down wind. The smoke is pretty natural to them in certain places like farm lands. The Fox urine will help, but also remember they are enemies and the coyote may charge you. get in a treestand if legal in your state, this helps a hunch. Come in from down wind, meaning walking against the wind to get setup and try to hunt cross wind as much as possible. Wildlife Research has a product called Claws & Paws along with Coyote juice that creates a food hunting instinct in them . It works wonders. Again cross wind as much as possible and as close to structures like woods and fence lines as possible. they don't like open spaces unless forced into them. Good luck and be safe

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. Smoke is not a scary smell to them. I never know which direction coyotes will be coming from. That is why at least two of us usually make each call; so we can see 360 degrees without moving. It is common for them to come from downwind but I've had many just barrel in from the direction they originated without worry. I had three come in once; one went upwind, one downwind and one watched from the side. The downwind guy snuck in until he actually put his nose right on my gun barrel to give it a better sniff (I think they like that burned gunpowder smell too).

We've gotten a couple dozen coyotes and foxes in the past few weeks and none of them showed scent recognition. In the last two weeks, we've had three come real close from down wind. Two made it as close as two feet before our movement spooked them and one made it to 10 feet and was still coming when he got shot. I have never seen coyotes shy from human scent like deer do but I don't doubt it happens.

I usually don't have to worry because I pull the trigger as soon as I see a good shot and often that is over 200-300 yards away. Occassionally, I'll tinker and let them keep coming just to see what they will do. I even had one jump on my buddy. I was in a tree and let him keep coming (from downwind) until he was right below me. I aimed for his nose so I wouldn't damage the hide.

Just as I shot, he jerked his head as he saw my buddy 2 feet away. He jumped nearly as high as I was in the tree and went right over my buddy's shoulder. My buddy's first shot was as the coyote flew over his shoulder and he almost shot me out of the tree with that one. I was laughing so hard I couldn't shoot and my buddy was so rattled, he missed the coyote with every shot. I could go on but you get the idea... So much for scent!

Comment

I almost just asked you what part of the country you were hunting.... I guess its been a long day.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                          by jhjimbo
                          I have blocked several that do not post anything worth reading, off topic wrong information, or pivoting on a thread.
                          The site is much more enjoyable...
                          Today, 07:02 PM
                        • Rest Easy
                          by jhjimbo
                          Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                          Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                        • Reply to There goes my deer season
                          by jhjimbo
                          Do the game animals make it out or are they burned up ?...
                          Today, 06:56 PM
                        • There goes my deer season
                          by rock rat
                          Not that it much matters, not that much meat on a deer anyway, but walk and stalk mule deer hunting is for fun not meat. Whole unit canceled due to the...
                          Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                        • Reply to Rest Easy
                          by jhjimbo
                          That is the problem, after a few cycles we would be like Argentina...
                          Today, 06:52 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X