Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was reading WAM's question regarding the ammo hoarding and perused a few sites, just out of curiosity. There are NO .224 bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was reading WAM's question regarding the ammo hoarding and perused a few sites, just out of curiosity. There are NO .224 bullets

Was reading WAM's question regarding the ammo hoarding and perused a few sites, just out of curiosity. There are NO .224 bullets or dies available. .308 bullets are scarce, and only in odd weights. No .308/7.62 X 51 dies. Went to a Bass Pro last Sunday, and all rifle ammunition was either non-existent, or in odd calibers, or odd loadings. No .22 LR of any type. .410 shot shells were running $15-$18 a box! No shot-shell re-loading components, other than shot, are available. For the optimists out there, when do you think the current lack of shooting supplies will be over? For the realists, do you think that manufacturers/suppliers will catch up, or hold back, awaiting word on the guvern'ment position on firearms?

One optimist.

Comment

The manufacturers are not likely to add to their infrastructure to expand production because this is clearly just a temporary panic attack. Expanding production would only be smart if they could anticipate long-term demand. That clearly IS NOT the case here. I don't expect any of the big retailers like Walmart who are holding back on wholesale purchases for the time being to make any ventures into restocking supplies until early to mid April. I expect by June there'll be a LOT of ads in the papers for ammo bought by gullible fools trying to sell their stash so they can buy gas money for fishing. Or to get their wives off their backs and save the marriage.

Comment

Nothing will change until the debate seems over with.

Comment

One moron, one realist.

Comment

One idiot.

Perhaps I should elaborate. I once worked for an incredibly stupid NCO in the Army. But he was also one of the best bosses I've ever had. Garth may not have been bright but he recognized that fact and he made the most of the individual intelligence of each of the men working under him. Every day he came to work he made every effort to learn as much as possible from every source available. He was always asking questions ... and listening to the answers. He may not have been smart but he was wise enough to never stop trying to be smartER. He was not an idiot.

An idiot is someone who isn't very smart but thinks he is and, therefore, is not inclined to try to learn anything or improve what God failed to endow him with. CRM, I offered that enlightened explanation for everyone's benefit ... but yours. No sense in wasting my time on that account.

Comment

Found a store across the state line that had a good supply of powdet, "some" bullets and had just rec'vd a primer order. (YEAH!) They also had a reasonable rack of AR's to pick from. "Some" ammo! No case lots.
              At home, both stores have limited loading supplies. One had 2 AR's, the other had 4 or 5. Two-two-three ammo was slum to none with no case lots available. Found a "Bucket O' Bullets" (1400 Rem Golden .22's) for $60 two months ago. Wish I'd bought both now. One "pack" (525 ct) Rem Golden .22's for $22! Wish I'd bought all three.
              Kids gloaming onto ammo as they find deals. One lives in same city as CTD warehouse. She finds some pretty good deals.
              I'm close enough to some "metro" areas that there's still "some" out there.
              Good luck!

Comment

Found a store across the state line that had a good supply of powdet, "some" bullets and had just rec'vd a primer order. (YEAH!) They also had a reasonable rack of AR's to pick from. "Some" ammo! No case lots.
                At home, both stores have limited loading supplies. One had 2 AR's, the other had 4 or 5. Two-two-three ammo was slum to none with no case lots available. Found a "Bucket O' Bullets" (1400 Rem Golden .22's) for $60 two months ago. Wish I'd bought both now. One "pack" (525 ct) Rem Golden .22's for $22! Wish I'd bought all three.
                Kids gloaming onto ammo as they find deals. One lives in same city as CTD warehouse. She finds some pretty good deals.
                I'm close enough to some "metro" areas that there's still "some" out there.
                Good luck!

Comment

Last night I arrived home from Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. Gander Mountain was just down the road from the motel I was staying in so I dropped by to take a gander at what they had for ammo. Lots! I didn't see any ammo shortages and I didn't think the prices looked bad either. No ARs in the place but that didn't surprise me. I don't recall seeing any in the Minneapolis store last fall either ... or the Cabelas stores in either Minneapolis or Grand Forks. Pretty hard not to notice those gawdy things. Obama came to Minneapolis while I was at Rochester to kick off his gun reform. I looked for Air Force One at the airport yesterday afternoon while I was waiting for a flight but didn't see it. He may have been gone already. For security reasons they probably don't leave the thing out in plane view. ;-)

Comment

I have it on good authority that I bought the last box of standard .22 lr in my county. There is still some .22 short and top dollar .22 match grade ammo. A guy I have coffee with is a knife maker and attended the recent Shot Show. He reported that while one AR manufacturer was at the show he received orders totaling $168 million. By the time OhBummer is done trying to get rid of "assault weapons" they will be the most popular firearm in USA. It is a simple matter of a threat to supply drives up demand like they teach in Econ. 101. But, obviously, judging by our ongoing economic state, economics has never been OhBummer's strong suit.

Comment

Honk-Honk, not to doubt your veracity, but I just went onto Gander Mountain's site and found the same as everywhere else. Sold out, No Back-order, inflated prices, low availability, ships from vendor, and not much to choose from, even in shot shell reloading components.
                      If you did indeed find what you say you found, stock up, and you can make a killing re-selling. Not bad for a complete moron!
                      Have a nice day.

Comment

There is still ammo available in MN as OHH points out. Very little .223 and 22lr. I watched a pile disappear at a Gander yesterday. Everyone buying the three boxes they would allow.
                        Are people thinking they are going to ban the ammo? Anyway fear is clearly driving the panic and some folks are probably making a pile of money so we will just have to wait this one out.
                        ps OHH Gander usually runs 10-15% higher than Fleet Farm or Cabelas on ammo. I only buy there on special or clearance.

Comment

The Gander Mt. that I go to in Va. which is very rare because their prices are retail plus 15% has no ammo and the manager told me that Gander Mt. is going out of the reloading business. This is the second Gander Mt. store that has told me this. I could have told that because they had no reloading supplies on the shelves. If you wanted a box of .458 Winchester Mag. you may have found a box but popular calibers were practically non-existant.

Comment

I had a bunch of Cabela's points to cash in so I tried to buy a couple of magazines, not AR, not hi-cap, just standard mags for a .22 rifle and my 1911. None, nothing, nada. So I tried to order some of the ammo I had the least of, again not .223 or 7,62X39, just some pistol ammo. I found three boxes not in the loading I was looking for. I bought them anyway. So, even though everything wet is still frozen and it will be another 4 -5 months before I'll be fly fishing in the high country streams, I used my points for a new rod case because the government isn't threatening to ban fly fishing, at least not yet.

Comment

the last time he was elected there were shortages for about 6months if i recall correctly. with the added on fears ill say we should see a resuply by september (hopefully)

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to End of an era
                                by Milldawg
                                Dew man guy who owns the land a farm of his wants the spot so I’m out. All of this started since there is monster running around out there....
                                Today, 11:10 PM
                              • End of an era
                                by Milldawg
                                Well lost my hunting spot of 7 years last Saturday. So now I’m joining the lease crowd. Any advice this will be my first year leasing ground next year....
                                Today, 03:35 PM
                              • Reply to Season ends
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                                Today, 10:39 PM
                              • Season ends
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                                Today, 12:41 AM
                              • Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                by Sarge01
                                If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
                                Today, 10:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X