Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips for hunting raccoon or fox WITHOUT dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips for hunting raccoon or fox WITHOUT dogs?

Any tips for hunting raccoon or fox WITHOUT dogs?

you have to know where the fox den is. same for coons.
    scout when there is snow on the ground and you may come across one. coons can be anywhere - hollow trees.

Comment

go at night with a spotlight. shine in the trees and sweep the ground at likely spots. if you know any farmers with run down buildings ask if you can hunt there. coons like to live in these areas.

for fox, use a bird distress or rabbit distress call. you can get away with a little less gun with fox than you can yotes. 17 hmr, .22 mag, and 22lr are good choices for both coons and fox.

fox are active mostly at night, but you can still call them in at first and last light.
      also, make sure you can hunt coons at night in your state. (legally)

Comment

For coon, shine them at night, most of my friends use their atv. Yoy might try night calling. For fox call them during the day.

Comment

Ive, scouted the area and found what I think is a fox den. Should I set up a blind in front of it?

Comment

set up where you have a good view of the general area preferably form a distance so as not to spook the fox. Find a backdoor to the spot that does not interfere with normal fox activity. Calling at night usually works best but calling during the day is possible. If legal i recommend like a day old bluegill bait pile that is frozen in a field which would work for both coons and fox. If not, predator calling, though considerably more difficult, is a good second option.

Comment

Check your regulations before shining at night for raccoons. Some places you can only use artifical light at point of kill, but not to search for the animal. I've had success using a fighting raccoon call. Good luck.

Comment

set up a garbage can in your back yard and watch it

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad