Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just curious; What was your first kill and how did the hunt go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious; What was your first kill and how did the hunt go.

Just curious; What was your first kill and how did the hunt go.

My first kill was a small red squirrel last fall. It darted into its hole and me and my dad had to wait it out.

Comment

squirrel was sitting in snow. Put one shot in his heart-lung area, never moved. Since then i've hunted everything indiana has to offer, including frog, crow, deer, turkey, woodcock and lots of others.

Comment

My first kill was a Fox squirrel with a .410 shotgun. I was so jittery that hunt I had already missed a couple others. But he sure did taste good and self satisfaction was even better.
        Knife Freak

Comment

Mine was a grey squirrel. I had just went out my back door to go into the woods with my pellet gun and it was just sitting there on my back fence... bang!

Comment

Probably a squirrel with a .22LR, but the first one I can actually remember was a woodchuck taken at 100 yards with a .22 Hornet rifle and a 10X Weaver scope.

Comment

Grackle(like a small crow) in the back yard at 30' with a daisy BB gun. One shot.

Comment

2nd day of rifle, up on a ridge on public land with my pop, in northern, wi. just settled in behind my rock, say a few words to myself about not freaking out and there he was, a spike. The 99 300 savage barked and he was down. hooked on deer.

Comment

My first kill was a starling in the backyard, with many to follow.My first hunting kill was a small whitetail doe. It was bitter cold in Upstate NY, and just before sunset.I had been out all day and was tempted to quit, but I was in a good spot and I knew I'd never shoot a deer warming up in the car.

Comment

...which was locked anyway.

Comment

I am sure I had some before, but the first I remember was squirrel hunting with my father. We were sneaking very slowly through the woods listening and looking for squirrels, when suddenly, my dad told me to stop. I stood dead still, ignoring the close trees like he taught me, looking for squirrels in the farthest branches I could see. I didn't see anything. Slowly, he pointed to a very young deer (never knew the sex) not more than 15 yards away, completely oblivious to us. It was just grazing as if we weren't there. We stood still and silent for what seemed like an eternity to a 10 year-old, until the deer finally wondered away. About the time I was about to let my guard down and start moving again, my father whispered in my ear that there was a squirrel in a tree so close I could have spit on the trunk. After an excruciatingly long time, I finally spotted the bushy tail, clinging to the main trunk, giving me a full view of his back. Ever so slowly, I raised my 20 ga. and squeezed. The load of #6 lead did one hell of a job on that critter, but you would never know it, as proud as I was to see it on my plate covered in gravy later that day. Later, my father mentioned that he told me to aim for the head at such close range, instead of the body, but I was too focused to hear him.

Comment

my first legal animal was a pheasant when i was 12...excellent day in the field with good dog work from my brittany, we hit our limit that day.

Comment

My first Kill was on Rabbits with an old used Win/Mod 12/16Ga Pump with 2.5/8" Chamber,Had to used Roll/Crimp Paper 2.3/4" Ammo till they stop making Roll-Crimp Ammo!
                          Not enough Steel on the Action to open-up to 2.3/4"??

Comment

Red squirrel...missed it 4 times because I was so excited I couldn't keep the gun steady.

Comment

Grey squirrel with a 20 gauge. It happened many years ago but I can remember it like it was yesterday. Man, I dealt those things heck in my youth. Now I hunt mostly deer and turkey but I'll pull out the .22 once or twice a year just to bring back old memories.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to End of an era
                                by Milldawg
                                Dew man guy who owns the land a farm of his wants the spot so I’m out. All of this started since there is monster running around out there....
                                Today, 11:10 PM
                              • End of an era
                                by Milldawg
                                Well lost my hunting spot of 7 years last Saturday. So now I’m joining the lease crowd. Any advice this will be my first year leasing ground next year....
                                Today, 03:35 PM
                              • Reply to Season ends
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                                Today, 10:39 PM
                              • Season ends
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                                Today, 12:41 AM
                              • Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                by Sarge01
                                If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
                                Today, 10:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X