Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

During a recent outing with friends, we got into talking about what the best guns and shot shell size for rabbit. What do you gu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• During a recent outing with friends, we got into talking about what the best guns and shot shell size for rabbit. What do you gu

During a recent outing with friends, we got into talking about what the best guns and shot shell size for rabbit. What do you guys reach for when chasing cottentails?

Twelve gauge and number six shot.

Comment

It used to be my 12 gauge with number 6's. Now, I'd swipe my son's light 20 o/u and still use 6's.

Comment

I'm real close to ITHACASXS in my choice...cept I prefer my side by side.

Comment

have some fun with it, get a good scope, and head out with a .22...

Comment

Good ol' ruger 10/22. I never liked digging out shot...

Comment

I like to shoot #6's through my 12. But i prefer #5 i can find them cheap. My friends, for some wild reason, like to shoot #8. I think you end up with too much lead that way. When my dog isn't working, thats when i break out the .22.

Comment

I use a Ruger 10-22. Hopefully the hand wringers in DC won't declare it an evil assault weapon.

Comment

a 22 any day of the week. however if i had to grab a shotty a 20g with 6s is a nice rabbit gun.

Comment

I just use a .22 pellet rifle, easy and cheap

Comment

c'backhunter

First, since I don't hunt waterfowl anymore, I use lead shot.
                      Second, "pattern density" kills, not shot size!
                      As far as digging out shot? It never bothered me much. Lead "oxide" (that frosty coating on the outside!) is the toxin that goes into the body. Lead is an accumulated toxin.
                      As long as the "pellet" passes through your system, no problemo!
                      Bunnies are relatively "fragile" animals.
                      Here in my area of the Great Southwest, nobody hunts cottontails to eat. It's the old "tularemia" scare. I kill 'em out of my garden every year. Even the dogs won't eat them!

BTW! I normally use a .22 when sniping them out of the garden. At night in the yard, it's a 20 gauge with a "skeet" choke and field load 8's.

Comment

I use my 12 ga. with light load of 7 1/2's.

Comment

410 with 7 shot.

Comment

Hi...

My favorite firearm for bunnies (and other small game) is a .410/.22 over/under.

Have had excellent 'luck' with it.

Is also good for puddle-jumping wood ducks. And for partridges. And squirrels, too.

When/if you need to get off a second shot for the bunnies (hound hunting?), then a 20-gauge will be ideal. The three-shot Mossberg I used was perfect.

Comment

20 gauge with 6's or 7 and a half's. Ive also had good luck with a 410 with a full choke and number 6s

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad