Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello so I like to go squirrel hunting with my pellet gun on my family's farm and yesterday I went hunting I was siting infront

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello so I like to go squirrel hunting with my pellet gun on my family's farm and yesterday I went hunting I was siting infront

Hello so I like to go squirrel hunting with my pellet gun on my family's farm and yesterday I went hunting I was siting infront of 4 or 5 new squirrel nest and all I hear or see is birds no lump on a tree branch no shaking of the tail and I have been going without a bushy tail for a while now I read articals about squirrel hunting and did every thing they said. I am in NC and I hunt gray squirrels and I need tips and help

squirrels hibernate for periods of time and can have multiple nests. your best bet is to sit near the trees in a quiet spot on a sunny day. move as little as possible and try to wait them out.

Comment

yeah i agree with mike and along with that find some acorns or something they are eating

Comment

I have a squirrel caller and it works pretty good. If I were you I'd get one. I also sit and wait for about 30-45 minutes and if i see nothing than I'll move on. Slowly and quietly moving through the woods and stalking is also a good strategy in certain situations. Try to hunt on sunnier milder days and in the early morning to increase your chances of getting one.They are a lot harder to get in the winter . Like Mike said they can hibernate for periods of time

Comment

Pretend that you are deer hunting, squirrels will appear everywhere.

Comment

what i do is get out realy early on a day where the weather will be good and sit and listen for 10-15 m. if i dont hear any runing around i move on. the get out really early and look for food and sometims will come out at random arts of the day

Comment

I agree with Andrew. I sit before the sun comes up and wait. If my normal spot isn't producing, I slowly stalk. Moving about twenty feet at a time with stops long enough to listen and scan my area. This always works for me. If it is windy out, I don't waste my time.

Comment

I've never seen one when snow is on the ground... could that be when the use the short hibernations?

Comment

If you don't get anything, walk around for a while, keep your eyes up looking in the trees. Also, a woodpecker sounds a lot like a squirrel. It just takes time to be able to tell them apart.

Comment

haha i live in nc too and i shot one this mornin, and she was my first one in almost about two weeks and i go out a lot, this time a year here they dont get out the nest too much

Comment

When it's really cold out, squirrels will stay in their nests well past daylight. You might try hunting later in the day towards mid afternoon.

One way to get a squirrel moving out of the nest is to shake it. In the South, many hardwoods have vines running up the tree. Look for a vine that passes through the nest, or one that attaches to the limb the nest is on, and yank on it. Be prepared to see the squirrel run out of the nest and scoot to a nearby limb and check out why its house is shaking. This works better for two hunters, one to shake and one to spot the squirrel. Another technique is to use a slingshot to hit the nest, and get the squirrel to leave it.

Never shoot at the nest. You may injure or kill the squirrel and it will be unrecoverable. Definitely unsportsmanlike conduct.

With a rifle I like hunting later on cold days. The squirrels will come out and then you can spot, stalk, and snipe them... truly challenging hunting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump
                        by crm3006
                        From # 1 Bubba- HEY!!! MOTORMOUTH!!!!
                        Too chicken s#¡t to take my bet?

Yep, he is, # 1 Bubba. Just a Canajan phony with a hot keyboard...
                        Today, 04:20 PM
                      • Trump
                        by Danbo
                        https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                        04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                      • Reply to 16 Years
                        by FirstBubba
                        Ya know bhr!
                        I think conservatives have figured out that "racist" and "sexist" are trigger words and liberals use them to shut...
                        Today, 03:57 PM
                      • 16 Years
                        by jhjimbo
                        So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                        Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                      • Reply to 16 Years
                        by FirstBubba
                        "... I need a life? Just shooting geese and pheasants doesn't constitute a life? Oops, you forgot about big bucks every year, African animals, fly...
                        Today, 03:40 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X