Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking to get a new scope for a .223 rifle to coyote hunt. What brand/power combo should i get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking to get a new scope for a .223 rifle to coyote hunt. What brand/power combo should i get?

I'm looking to get a new scope for a .223 rifle to coyote hunt. What brand/power combo should i get?

Leupold 3-9x50

Comment

Bushnell or Nikon. 9-16 power

Comment

I would reccomend Barska. I vhave one on my deer gun, and it is extremely clear. My fariend has a higher power one with an illuminated reticle, i am not sure of magnification or model, and he also likes. It probably wouldnt cost over 150 cause my lower power one (3-9x42) was 80 dollars. It is camo so a little less for black, but i love it.

Comment

You should first decide how much you want to spend on optics, then look at scopes from the major manufactures in that price range, and see what appeals to you, they all make fine scopes these days. As far as power, decide if it is just a coyote gun, or if you will be hunting other smaller varmints with it as well. A 3x9 will work well for coyotes, but if you are shooting ground squirrels, rock chucks, etc... and longer range, then a higher powered scope may be your ticket.

Comment

Listen to Idahooutdoors. The only thing I would add is I love my Leupold VXIII's. Oh, and you don't really need a 50mm objective 40 or 42 is plenty. I won't go into all the whys.

Comment

3x9 range is right so you can pick them up running. If you expect to pick off standing targets at 600 yards, it might be nice to get a little more power but don't use more than 6x on the low end and I like to stay at 4x or below on the low end. I advise getting a clear scope and an accurate scope. The Leupolds are hard to beat but the .223s are so light on recoil, they actually give you quite a bit of flexibility on what scope you use.

Comment

Nikon makes a coyote camo scope. I'm not sure of the power but I think it is a 4 to 14.. Pull up their web site and look at it.

Comment

Agreed with idahooutdoors and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad