Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far from their home do you have to take trapped animals to prevent them from coming back? I have ground squirrels that won't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far from their home do you have to take trapped animals to prevent them from coming back? I have ground squirrels that won't

How far from their home do you have to take trapped animals to prevent them from coming back? I have ground squirrels that won't stop burrowing in front bushes and to appease my wife, I agreed not to kill them, but to trap and release them.

I don't think anyone is going to have an exact answer.

That being said, the distance should probably be measured in miles, the more the better.

I'd probably try to think of the friend / relative / public park that is furthest away while still being a comfortable drive, and take the little buggers there.

Plus, trapping is always fun, I say embrace it.

Comment

I dont really see ground squirels traveling great distances just to come back and mess with your wife's garden... I would say at least a couple of miles, but I wouldn't worry about going way out of your way.

Comment

by a river would be a pretty good spot to take them. you live near a small town? take them to the other side of the town.

Comment

auburn_hunter,
          Oh you patient man and good husband. Squirrels are the scourge of the earth if they pick your house to demolish.

Comment

I read a study a while back that was supposedly scientific. It specified that squirrels must be transported a minimum of 12 miles before you can be certain that they will not return to their territory. The same article I believe identified that squirells are exceptionally territorial and will most often panic and die if transported to an unfamiliar territory. I had a squirrel in the attic and did my best... I caught it in a Havahart trap, I covered the cage in burlap and transported it about 15 miles. I gleefully opened the trap door releasing the squirrel to its new home. It bolted out, ran three feet and dropped over dead as a door nail. Now, I just shoot them with a pellet gun to save them anquish.

Comment

The problem with squirrels is that even if you trap some, others will come in and start doing the same thing. The cycle never ends. Although I believe trapping was nice of you to think of for your wife, I would say if you want to permanently get rid of the problem, you are going to have to kill them.

Comment

My dad had a squirrel problem years ago, and took them to a WMA about 5 miles away. When he suspected the same squirrells were returning, he painted ones tail white, released it at the same WMA. A day and a half later, it was back. So i'd say takem further than 5 miles!

Comment

I have the same problem with grey squirrels. Take some spray paint paint their tails. It will either detur them or a predator will have a nice meal. If this doesn't work do for the paintball or airsoft guns.

Comment

I don't think anyone is going to give you a perfect answer other than- As far as you can take them.

Comment

My neighbor borrowed two homemade box traps to take care of her red squirrel problem. She would catch a squirrel and take the trap to the end of her driveway and open the gate. Most of the time the squirrels would hop over into the grass and I guess that she assumed that another one was gone! I think you have to take them a good long distance. She had my traps all summer!

Comment

Agreed with DakotaMan and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaHunter1226 View Post
                          The problem with squirrels is that even if you trap some, others will come in and start doing the same thing. The cycle never ends. Although I believe trapping was nice of you to think of for your wife, I would say if you want to permanently get rid of the problem, you are going to have to kill them.
                          By the same logic, killing them won't end the cycle either because another squirrel will appear. (It will save on gas however).

Squirrel proofing your house is a also good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by libertyfirst View Post
                            My neighbor borrowed two homemade box traps to take care of her red squirrel problem. She would catch a squirrel and take the trap to the end of her driveway and open the gate. Most of the time the squirrels would hop over into the grass and I guess that she assumed that another one was gone! I think you have to take them a good long distance. She had my traps all summer!
                            I had trouble with throes beautiful monsters, they dug up my wife's flower beds, chewed up my swing cushions, and you get in the trees and laugh at me, well I started to trap them and have been taking them about 5 miles away to a park where there are many other squirrel to play with as of now I have trapped 11 squirrels 4 raccoons and one rabbit, and I live in the city, I thought these creatures were country animals

Comment

Originally posted by slothman View Post
                              I dont really see ground squirels traveling great distances just to come back and mess with your wife's garden... I would say at least a couple of miles, but I wouldn't worry about going way out of your way.
                              I had trouble with throes beautiful monsters, they dug up my wife's flower beds, chewed up my swing cushions, and you get in the trees and laugh at me, well I started to trap them and have been taking them about 5 miles away to a park where there are many other squirrel to play with as of now I have trapped 11 squirrels 4 raccoons and one rabbit, and I live in the city, I thought these creatures were country animals

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad