Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have noticed an explosion in ferrel cats on the farm that i hunt. I know cats take rabbits and the chicks of pheasants and qu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have noticed an explosion in ferrel cats on the farm that i hunt. I know cats take rabbits and the chicks of pheasants and qu

I have noticed an explosion in ferrel cats on the farm that i hunt. I know cats take rabbits and the chicks of pheasants and quail. I want them gone. Is there any law against shooting them on sight? Only the ones without collars of course.

TALK TO THE FARMER BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING ANYTHING LIKE THAT! If he's okay with you getting rid of some of the cats then that's the first step. Then see if there is any local by-laws regarding that sort of thing. Then possibly have the farmer put the word out to neighbors that a reduction plan is about to be enforced and they better have their cats collared and/or under control.

Comment

Sounds like time for what I like to call a "Triple S"!
      Shoot!
      Shovel!
      Shut up!
      Good luck!

Comment

talk to the farmer, if he says okay. do what you need to do.

Comment

Iowa actually passed a law allowing it. DNR doesn't opose it unless you are trespassing. I think there ought to be a blast-a-cat week during nesting season!

Comment

I should add that most sensible neighborhood cat owners won't object too much to a cat reduction program. The damn ferrel cats are a nuisance for them and a threat to their pets. Always good to work that angle when you're exploring this kind of resolution.

Comment

I consider ferrel cats an invasive species with no place in the wild. I couldn't find any local reg's on the matter. I like your suggestions and think it maybe here kitty kitty time!

Comment

I know several deer hunters who routinely practice feral cat reduction while on stand, at the slight risk of disturbing deer in the area. They just omit the shovel part of the program.

Comment

Feral cats take much more than young wild gamebirds. They are HELL on gamebird populations. If they are feral, there is not a thing unethical about popping them with a .22. I keep a cat around the farm for vermin control, but feral cats that come to call frequently meet untimely ends.

Comment

You might check with the landowner first. If he doesn't mind the feral feline reduction, have at it. If you are acting as his agent, SSS

Comment

I hate feral cats as much as the next person but i don't think its nice to poison them with antifreeze. We trap them and take them to the pound to be euthanized. Also i dont think I've ever heard of "cat season" at least not here in california.

Comment

I wouldn't poison them, to many unintended casualties. Trapping doesn't sound like a bad idea, though.

Comment

Feral cat explosion? Explode some feral cats.

Comment

fire away if the landowner says it is ok! putting something like anti freeze is illegal. don't even think about it!

Comment

'putting something out'. sorry.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Court Says.....
                                by jhjimbo
                                Can not restrict concealed carry.
                                Lawyer on TV says Court should look at history and tradition. If we did that we would be burning witches at the...
                                Today, 01:01 PM
                              • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                                by Danbo
                                What? How?
                                Are they not true?

Did I hit a nerve ?

Every thing I said is true. Our criminals have many handguns without...
                                Today, 12:56 PM
                              • You guys are sleeping
                                by fitch270
                                Can’t believe I’m posting this first.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna17721
                                06-23-2022, 11:54 AM
                                by jhjimbo
                                I said a permit could stop someone who should not get one, period. All the other qualifiers you added and really, they sound stupid....
                                Today, 12:30 PM
                                by Danbo
                                The sheriff does it here in NY also but yet the criminals still have any firearms that they wan in NY. Ohio must have no gun violence if you think the...
                                Today, 12:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X