A .17HMR works just fine!

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    A .17HMR works just fine!

Leave a comment:

• willkillsdeer
    replied
    jhonny stewerrts the way to go for a cheaper but still good my friend has one its sweet also pretty much any primos call should be great i have one and called in acoyote or two with it

Leave a comment:

• cwolf5
    replied
    oh and i use a .17HMR works just fine. I know people say its crap to kill cyots with but i say nay..

Leave a comment:

• cwolf5
    replied
    I use the hot dog and little dog by primos i almost never use distress calls, but there are times you need them. I never use electronic calls by the way. I use the two calls to make it seem like theres 4 cyots around that way it brings them out to see who the hell is in there space. Maybe make it seem like there are 2 fighting over a rabbit works too. Its fun learning what they come to one day from the next just try different things but what i can tell you is dont rely on distress calls.

Leave a comment:

• jbonifer24
    replied
    I love Johnny Stewart calls, I have the Attractor PT-1, which is a digital call that has a cordless range of 50yds. It's small light weight and has a clip to attach to your belt. I also like the Johnny Stewart PC-1 mouth call. I like to call for about 30 sec. and then wait a minute and then call for 30 sec. again. If I don't see anything after 15-30min. I move spots. I like to use the digital caller to throw in an extra sound while I'm using the mouth call to really peak a coyote's interest. So while I'm doing a cottontail distress with the mouth call, I'll use the woodpecker in distress on the digital call, varying the volume on each. Also when you use a mout call, it is really important to get the waivering death moan into the call so that you sound like your in a lot of agony and close to death. My calling has grown leaps since I found this out. Good shooting!

Leave a comment:

• rabbitpolice88
    replied
    I don't know if your watching your wind but if not please do. You may be too exposed as well. It's hard to say, hunting yotes in the Southeast is different than say out West. Have you tried water holes and known travel areas? Like a strip of woods between fields or a funnel of some kind?

Leave a comment:

• herbie57_57
    replied
    T I have and hate 2 Cass Creek calls. Try those calls kvlazer suggested and check out some of Randy Andersons videos. I also use a John Stewart Prey Master call with several different sound cards. I also used an open reed Zepps that I have had the most success with but it and the KiYi sound pretty similar if you take the top off the KiYi.It sounds like you are doing everything else right.

Leave a comment:

• kvlazer22
    replied
    I would suggest losing that electronic call, the only electronic call I recommend is the Fox Pro but their downfall is their price. If you don’t want to practice those open read calls, go with something easy and cheap from Quaker Boy like the Squealin Rabbit, Raspy Rabbit, or Squeezin’ Screamer...

http://www.quakerboygamecalls.com/store.php?crn=209

Leave a comment:

• T
    replied
    Hey, this year I have had no success hunting coyotes, bobcats, or any other predators in my state. Here's what I do and if you have anything to say that would help it would be greatly appreciated.
    I....

-- use a Cass Creek predator call - http://www.casscreek.com/prod_predator.html
    -- hunt with 65 grain bullets
    -- use a .22 highpower rifle or .223
    -- don't keep track of time between calls, I just do it when it sounds right
    -- usually stick to Cottontail Rabbit in distress and Coyote Howls sometimes, but the majority is Cottontail
    -- usually place the call around 50-100 yards away from me

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    And thanks to kvlazer for telling his tactics.

Leave a comment:

• T
    started a topic -->...Coyote hunting help...<--

-->...Coyote hunting help...<--

\-->...Coyote hunting help...<\--

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad