Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size shot is best for turkeys?

What size shot is best for turkeys?

Generally it's the size that patterns the best. Meaning a nice tite pattern with no holes in it. Shot size in turkey loads range from #4 to #7 1/2 in lead or high density loads. My favorite is #6 high density. Not only does high density pattern better than lead it carries more energy per pellet. At long range #6 lead may pattern well but not have enough energy to penetrate sufficiently for an instant kill. It you like bang-flop kills use high density turkey loads. They are expensive, but you only need a handfull if you don't take risky shots.

Comment

Whether it's #4's, #5's or #6's they fall dead when you make a good shot. I grab whatever ever is sitting on the gun cabinet and have never missed a bird.

Comment

i use a five shot and i am 13

Comment

Remington used to make some AWSOME round called "Duplex"(2x4,2x6) I've got a buddy who reloads them for me now. LOVE EM !!! I use the 2x4s, like hitting them with the board !

Comment

Comment

For a 20ga. I use 6 shot 3 in mags (Winchester)and for a 12ga I use 6 shot 2 3/4 or 5 or 4 with 3 inchers.

Comment

My turkeyu gun patterns best with size six and since I hunt in the close quarters woods/swamps I don't need much down range energy since all my turkey shots have been inside 30 yards.

Comment

Well 6 gives you pattern density, but 4 gives you range so I said "Hell I can't decide, so I'll split the difference!" Walla! That's why they make 5 shot!

Comment

I prefer 4.

Comment

I use a 4, and after I shoot they dont move

Comment

Depending on what kind of gun you use and what kind of terrain you hunt...For large fields, I like to use 3 1/2 inch mags in #5 shot for my remington. When I am hunting woodlots, I use 3 inch mags in #4 shot for a browning...

Comment

6 shot.

Comment

Shot choice depends on many factors. I love it when guys say they only shoot close birds. In Colorado you may only see one bird an entire 30 day season and you better be ready and able to shoot him at any distance where he is killable or you'll go home skunked. I will put in 2 1/4 oz of #4's when I am moving, running and gunning, or hiking long distances and have the possibility of jumping a bird similar to deer hunting. I have killed many toms 3 to 5 miles from the truck doing this. I will put in #5's or #6's when calling over decoys and the birds will likely come in close. If I am sitting in an ambush situation, which I don't do very often I will put in #4's because the shots may be longer. I always use my 12 ga. 3 1/2 shells with the most shot I can get, usually Federal 2 1/4 oz loads. Sometimes this is overkill but who cares. I am not going for a light tackle record...I just want my tom dead, and they can't get too dead. In conclusion I carry 4's, 5's, and 6's and use the right one for the circumstances.

Comment

I use 6!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad