Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is an answer to T’s and Herbie’s question about my coyote hunting tactics…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is an answer to T’s and Herbie’s question about my coyote hunting tactics…

This is an answer to T’s and Herbie’s question about my coyote hunting tactics…

The calls that I use are pretty much all of the Primos line, my lanyard includes the Hot-Dog, Ki-Yi, Lil’ Dog, and the CatNip. I have found that these calls can be manipulated to reproduce any sound you will ever need in the coyote woods. Also, I suggest taking a watch into the woods because I find when the adrenaline is pumping you always rush the calls and this can be the biggest destroyer to a hunt.
    I start out with the green reed of the Lil’ Dog and create about 30 seconds of mouse/bird squeaks and then put the calls down for about 3 minutes, you would be surprised as to how many respond to this sequence alone. If nothing responds, I use the Ki-Yi to do around 30-45 seconds of rabbit or fawn distress with the same period of rest, around 3 minutes between calls. Also, I will mix in barks and dog wines to simulate a coyote fighting over a wounded animal. Once the hunt reaches the 20 minute area I will start to blow some crow calls along with my distress. Crows seem to also like distress calls and I believe crows relax the coyotes. Also, I recommend the Fox Pro Jack-in-the-Box, not so much for coyotes but for getting the attention of the crows. Using distress calls alone sparks the curiosity of crows, hawks, and owls and with the combination of the decoy they will swoop and gather around your area. This ruckus of predatory birds may be the final nail in the coffin for a hesitant dog. However, I caution the use of this decoy for I never put it out in front of me where I expect dogs to come from. I am very anal about keeping my hunting area clean of disturbance and scent, I place the decoy on my tracks walking in then sit about 50 yards beyond it. If nothing responds after 30 minutes get up and move on to your next location.

The only time I tend to use coyotes sounds such as invitations, challenge howls, and locators are during night hunts. I do all my hunting in NY State and the dogs out here on the east coast very rarely if ever respond to coyotes noises in the daytime hours.

Hopefully this was informative, I will be awaiting pictures of coyote kills!

Comment

Very cool...never heard of the crow method!

Comment

Thanks man I'll try some of your tactics next time and see what happens. Those calls are all very good calls I just try and stick to a howler and one of the other per stand.

Comment

Thanks man! I was waiting to hear your strategy. I've been using distressed cottontail call this year and haven't had any success, but that doesn't stop me from trying some more.

Comment

Thanks man! I was waiting to hear your strategy. I've been using distressed cottontail call this year and haven't had any success, but that doesn't stop me from trying some more.

Comment

kvlazer, very good advise.

Comment

Use the crow method!

Comment

Use the crow method!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad