Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best weapon for squirrel hunting a 22., airgun/bb gun or a slingshot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would depend what the squirrel is most comfortable with. Rifles seem to be too awkward to sling on their backs as they jump from branch to branch and most squirrels in our hood are too small for a standard rifle; even a .22 tends to have the trigger mechanism too far forward for their little paws to operate easily. I've noted that the meaner looking squirrels seem to flash Glocks or other hand guns but they're also sporting gang colors so who knows?!

Comment

Air gun can be a good choice. You need a good scope though

Comment

My Dad started me at 12 years old with a 12 gauge shotgun and #4 shot. We ate the heads so he didn't want the heads destroyed with a .22 rifle. He said it didn't take as many #4 shot to kill a squirrel.

Comment

I only shot one squirrel in my life with a shotgun. .22lr solids in a JC Higgins rifle was my best rig. Also used my Browning Challenger .22 pistol. Be careful shooting into trees with a .22, most of mine were shot on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            I only shot one squirrel in my life with a shotgun. .22lr solids in a JC Higgins rifle was my best rig. Also used my Browning Challenger .22 pistol. Be careful shooting into trees with a .22, most of mine were shot on the ground.
            I got a call one time from a fellow that said a .22 bullet came through the bathroom window through the open bathroom door and stuck in the wall in the kitchen. His Mother had just came out of the bathroom. After investigating I went to the house that was probably 3/4 miles away where I knew that 3 young boys lived. When asked about the incident the one boy said he was shooting at a fox squirrel in the top of a tree in the direction of the neighbors house. His shells matched the bullet that came through the window into the wall. Gave the boy a warning ticket and made him make a trip to the neighbors to apologize. Had he hit the old woman it would have been a different story. They weren't even supposed to out hunting by themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

I got a call one time from a fellow that said a .22 bullet came through the bathroom window through the open bathroom door and stuck in the wall in the kitchen. His Mother had just came out of the bathroom. After investigating I went to the house that was probably 3/4 miles away where I knew that 3 young boys lived. When asked about the incident the one boy said he was shooting at a fox squirrel in the top of a tree in the direction of the neighbors house. His shells matched the bullet that came through the window into the wall. Gave the boy a warning ticket and made him make a trip to the neighbors to apologize. Had he hit the old woman it would have been a different story. They weren't even supposed to out hunting by themselves.
              That's the kind of story that makes you want to ticket the parents.

I admit that I like to hunt squirrels with both a .22lr and a shotgun. Seems like one of the earliest laws of gun safety is to know your target and what lies beyond it. I remember it was pretty standard hunter's safety and gun safety.

Comment

I used to squirrel hunt out in the boonies w .22 rf. Steep angle upward shots only, try to keep trunk as backstop. Leaves on trees too.

Had bullets fly by from people shooting over hills (dunno what's beyond) or skipping off open flat ground (no backstop). Aunts house took three shotgun slugs, one slid in carpet to the kitchen.
                Trespassers/poachers deer hunting in her thicket down the hill. Two story new house, open all around.

People are stupid.

Comment

Another thing, you shoot into the woods, not out of it. If hunting inside and tree rat on edge, open field beyond..........that aint a .22rf shot. If walking in the field and the squirrel on edge in tree, and you got 40 plus acres of timber behind........that's a decent backstop.

But people walk and walk, get tired and finally see one and don't think.

Comment

My Freedom VX 2-7X showed up today from Cameraland NY.
                    Is on the CZ 455 and will hopefully take it and the Rem 760 (went from Leupold rifleman alloy rings to Burriz Zee) and zero (same 4x on it).

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

Sounds like a low angle shot.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post

Sounds like a low angle shot.
                        3/4 of a mile away would be a high angle shot.

Comment

Thought max D was usually had with a shot angle 45 degrees or slightly less (30 or 35 keeps popping in my mind).

Comment

I got a lot with my .22 caliber air rifle when I was just starting out and that was the most fun of any method, using iron sights and one shot at a time. A scoped .22 became my favorite later in life because it can reach out there and get them wherever they appear. As others said, you must really watch to see that you have a bullet stopping background for safety. I shot a few with a shotgun but there was no sport in it and I never liked picking lead shot out for hours to protect my teeth.

Comment

I got tons of big fat gray's with my JC Higgins .22 rifle, then switched to my Browning Challenger .22 pistol. Over 95% of squirrels I shot were on the ground.

Comment

Did someone say "squirrel"?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wildebeest rug
                                  by Happy Myles
                                  Many fine eating animals are found in Africa, including Springbuck. Gerenuk is among my favorites along with Lesser kudu. As a matter of fact, all the...
                                  Today, 01:51 PM
                                • Wildebeest rug
                                  by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                  My daughter put in the request for wildebeest hide for my safari last year. Her man wasn't particularly crazy about it so I brought it home last week....
                                  06-04-2020, 07:59 PM
                                • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                                  by Buckshott00
                                  "at what point is it quenched?"
                                  When it turns to looting and burning. No one is questioning that BHR. What I'm asking you to realize...
                                  Today, 01:35 PM
                                • Jackbooted Thugs
                                  by Buckshott00
                                  I know tensions are high. I know there's a curfew in effect, but...

If you fire (even pepper / paintball rounds) at someone on their porch...
                                  06-01-2020, 02:37 AM
                                • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                                  by Buckshott00
                                  We can agree on all those things or none of them. The beauty of love our country is that even if you accept the current Pres. anyone can still disagree...
                                  Today, 01:27 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X