Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i would like to start coyote hunting i live in tn have any tips on what i should use and any other stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i would like to start coyote hunting i live in tn have any tips on what i should use and any other stuff

i would like to start coyote hunting i live in tn have any tips on what i should use and any other stuff

I recently got back from TN and both landfills we worked at had yote tracks everywhere. They must have run at night because we never saw them.

Comment

A screaming cottontail rabbit predator call, cover scent and full camo. Facemask and all. I use a .223 rifle, but have used a .22 LR and it worked fine with well-placed short-range shots. Learn to blow the call and you will have the time of your life. Good Luck!

Comment

boomer i too live in tn and am starting to coyote hunt. I bought a primos kit that comes with 2 calls and a dvd and cant wait to get out there after turkey season

Comment

Get some calls and practice, watch some coyote hunting shows, some good how to dvd's out there. If you already own a rifle or shotgun for deer hunting they will work just fine, you can always get a specialized gun on down the road if you decide. More than anything, get out in the field, the more you do, the better you will be at doing.............

Comment

everyones pretty much answered your question but i think a ghillie suit would be good so they cant see you since they have such good sight. Good luck!!

Comment

Choose a location that contains adequate coyote habitat. Do some preliminary research to find out the location of coyotes. Coyotes tend to travel and bed in heavily wooded areas, creek bottoms and other low lying areas for concealment. These areas often provide plentiful food sources.

Set up in a position where you have good visibility of the terrain. Use camouflage and shadows of trees and brush to conceal your silhouette. Coyotes are very good at pin pointing where noise is coming from at long distances. Often coyotes will circle potential prey to use wind to there advantage. Apply a cover scent to prevent coyotes from smelling you and potentially spooking it away.

Use distress calls of cottontail, jackrabbit, woodpeckers, or other small prey. Mouth calls and electronic calls are available at most hunting supply stores. Start a calling sequence about as loud as you normally talk. Continue for several minutes and then gradually increase the volume if you have not spotted a coyote. The first calling sequence should last five to eight minutes. Observe in silence for two minutes and repeat calling sequence if needed. Coyotes usually respond aggressively to calls within the first ten minutes if they are within hearing range.

Coyotes can usually hear distress calls a half a mile to a mile away depending on wind speed and terrain. If no coyotes respond to your calling sequence, move to another location down wind at least a thousand yards away if possible. Start calling sequence over as before.

Hope this helps boomer1 ...

Comment

Full camo gilli suit, eletronic calls, rifle/scope combo(long range/.222,.223)shotgun(12ga.short range), vids. and a little luck don't hurt either.
                Good luck and good hunting !

Comment

Agreed with 2Poppa answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

You can get a scent killer kit at wal mart that has the clothes soap and dryer sheets, shower soap and shampoo, deotorant, spray, and chapstick for like 20 bucks... well worth it.. I live in Chattanooga BTW. I use a Primos double cottontail, double jackrabbit, and the primos third degree, which is just a extra loud cottontail call. then get at least one coyote howler.. i love my Knight n Hale one.. Those are the only 4 calls i have and dont think i have ever needed anything else.. if you have alot of land your best bet is to stalk and kinda be on the move.. If you dont have alot of land, set up a nice blind or something to conceal yourself, put bait out every night for 2 weeks.. if possible set up a game cam so you can see what direction they come from and what time.. on the 15th day, set that bait out and if your not using a game cam, get in the blind and wait, if you are using a game cam, get in your blind about 2 hours before they come thru.. i use a Remington 870 express with a 3000 lumen light on it.. FULL CHOKE with #4 buckshot.. ive dropped one at about 65 yards with that setup.. rifle wise, anything light and accurate..

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                      by jhjimbo
                      What kind of powder was your friend using and didn't he ever clean it ?...
                      Today, 01:16 PM
                    • Another New Upper
                      by DakotaMan
                      Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                      Today, 12:54 PM
                    • Reply to Another New Upper
                      by FirstBubba
                      Smooth lookin' AR D'Man!
                      Let us know how it shoots. 😃!
                      Today, 01:12 PM
                    • Reply to 16 Years
                      by jhjimbo
                      I have the mad canadian blocked, all I know is he should get an apt. with a Psychiatrist.
                      He should get a life, shooting geese and pheasant do not...
                      Today, 01:11 PM
                    • 16 Years
                      by jhjimbo
                      So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                      Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X