• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any tips on frog gigging?

any tips on frog gigging?

shine a spotlight along the bank of a pond and when you see eyes shoot them

Comment

Use bright lights and sharp gigs. Don't try to gig them while their floating in the water, it doesn't work very well.

Comment

Yeah! Don't use a gig!
        Get a deep dip net about 6" in diameter, attach it to a pole 6 to 10 feet long. Lay the net over the frog and pull, when he jumps, he goes to the end of the net. Then, flip it over and you have him.
        Best part of all this?
        If you're hunting at night and don't get home until 2 or 3 am, you don't have to clean a bunch of dead frogs! Go in, clean up, go to bed and deal with the frogs once you get up!
        To keep frogs alive!
        1 - five gallon bucket, with lid
        1 - piece of 4" PVC pipe longer than the bucket is tall
        Cut a hole in the lid just barely large enough for the PVC pipe.
        Drop frogs in PVC pipe and lift until frog is in bucket (about 6 inches)
        BE VERY CAREFUL removing lid!! LOL!!

Bubba

Comment

cut a thick stick in an x formation then cut x in half about 2 inches down each put twigs in between and sharpen

Comment

Try catching frogs on flys or bits of bread on a bream hook, lots of fun.

Comment

Watch out for cottonmouth's falling in the boat when you push up under limbs to gig. If your partner flips the serpent into the water, after you have surrendered the boat to said reptile by disembarking, it is perfectly alright to kick his butt after returning to shore.

Comment

if its legal try a bow sometime, you need one with lighted pins, otherwise you gotta shine the pins and the frog, we went last year, and smoked, turned our bows down and sighted in for about 5 yards, the farthest one i shot was at 15 yards, its pretty fun

Comment

*smoked em, as in killed not actually smoking cuz thats nasty

Comment

We use a long rod with a "RED" pice of flannel or dollfly tied on it. They will attack the "RED" to the point you can just pull them in to you. Bubba's idea works great too with the "RED" keeps them busy. 5gal pail full of frong leggs,,oh yeah, that sounds yummy

Comment

I'm with ethan, shooting frogs with a bow is lots of fun and good practice. Bow season for frogs starts in June in Ohio.

Comment

Use a LED light that straps around your head. Plenty of shine that wont spook the frogs while leaving your hands free to gig or shoot.

Comment

The best tips I have, and I have been giggin for 45 years, are to got to where there might be frogs and turn the car off and listen. Then go that way until they guide themselves to you. The early summer is best as they are looking for that love partner and are singing their tunes to court them. When you get to the ditch, shine the light around and look for those shiny eyes, but every now and then turn it off and sit and listen. If you hear one and can't find it, and you sit and listen, you will be able to narrow the area in the weeds that it sits down to a foot or two. Funny enough, they will often let you move the weeds around them with the gig so you can uncover them. On a ditch, we have a guy on each side to help spot across the creek and gig the ones on that side. I wrote a real in depth article on this sport a while back that I posted at http://www.fishnfools.com in the blogs section that takes the time to explain all the details of frog gigging. One thing that is esential is the "HTFB" aka the high tech frog bucket. This is a regular wire fish basket with the spring loaded top. You can't find a better way to hold your frogs.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                            Yeah! Don't use a gig!
                            Get a deep dip net about 6" in diameter, attach it to a pole 6 to 10 feet long. Lay the net over the frog and pull, when he jumps, he goes to the end of the net. Then, flip it over and you have him.
                            Best part of all this?
                            If you're hunting at night and don't get home until 2 or 3 am, you don't have to clean a bunch of dead frogs! Go in, clean up, go to bed and deal with the frogs once you get up!
                            To keep frogs alive!
                            1 - five gallon bucket, with lid
                            1 - piece of 4" PVC pipe longer than the bucket is tall
                            Cut a hole in the lid just barely large enough for the PVC pipe.
                            Drop frogs in PVC pipe and lift until frog is in bucket (about 6 inches)
                            BE VERY CAREFUL removing lid!! LOL!!

Bubba
                            Excellent advice. I have never hunted frogs but while catfishing tonight I realized my spot is loaded with frogs. Some of them sounding huge. I love frog legs, have a kayak, have a net, so why the hell not? Any advice about spotlighting them? I've got plenty of good headlamps but not sure how that works. Thanks for the advice. Cheers.

Comment

Walk along the bank real quite like and when you see them keep the light in there eyes so they can't see you and then grab them if you wanna keep them alive or gig them or shot them just make sure that light is in there eyes best of luck to yall

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Omicron
                                by 99explorer
                                You guys talk a good fight.
                                Today, 12:49 PM
                              • Omicron
                                by jhjimbo
                                Name for new African virus. In Greek means 'we're screwed'.
                                11-26-2021, 02:05 PM
                              • Reply to Omicron
                                by labrador12
                                The worst case would be to hide in your basement quivering in fear for years, watching CNN and MSNBC quote experts. Live your life. There has never been...
                                Today, 12:31 PM
                              • Reply to Why Is It ??
                                by labrador12
                                Great post pH!

Let's GO Brandon!!!
                                Today, 12:22 PM
                              • Why Is It ??
                                by jhjimbo
                                Why is it all the viruses and mutants eminate from outside the United States ? Anybody know ??
                                Today, 02:11 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X