Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever camo-painted a gun? I plan to paint my coyote gun for hunting. Is there a certain way to do this that I don't kn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever camo-painted a gun? I plan to paint my coyote gun for hunting. Is there a certain way to do this that I don't kn

Has anyone ever camo-painted a gun? I plan to paint my coyote gun for hunting. Is there a certain way to do this that I don't know about?

I really don't think critters really care! Never had that problem

Comment

I've been thinking of using a paint ball gun sometime! What do you think!

Comment

My buddy did his turkey gun.

Use spray paint in flat color,green,brown,black,gray, your choice.
        Tape the action so the paint doesn't impede any movement. Tape the end the barrel

Be sure to hold the can far enough away that it doesn't become to thick.Use light strokes and get creative ...post a picture!

Comment

If you want to do it right then consider camo dipping. Just do a search online for "camo dipping" - it's about $200.

One guy had to really think it over when I told him that animals could make out the manufacturers name and log on his camo hat and know that it wasn't natural. I was kidding ... I think.

Comment

Hjohn429-

Make sure you head back over to that Obama-gun post and answer my questions.

Like I've said before, I'm willing to change my opinions but I need proof, or at least evidence.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/answers/other/whats-obamas-future-plans-gun-situation-ammunition-prices-going-skyrocket-1-gun-day-or#comment-286164

I guess this is another example of why we need personal messaging on this site.

Comment

I wouldn't paint it, I would just wrap it with McNett Camo Wrap. Look at my profile pictures for the gun in action with snow camo. It's cheap, doesn't do permanent damage.

Comment

Gander will do the dipping for 220. Another option is snakeskins camo kit (available from Cabelas), its basically a shrinkwrap for your gun. And finally if your set on paintin it yourself there are many different camo paints and stencils available to help make a pattern for your camo.

Comment

If you are gonna spend 220 bucks send it to ultracoatingsinc and have it Cerakoted in camo. then the gun is also weatherproofed. I had them Parkerize (spelling?) my SBE in flat green. That was before Cerakote came out. They can mix colors for camo and the stuff wears like iron. It will not rust even in a salt spray.

Comment

Forgot to add before I had my SBE Parkerized I tried painting. It looked good until I started hunting. Then the paint rubbs off on high spots in short order and the gun will look like shiite. Mine did, that's why I had it coated. Paint is fine and the cheapest if you don't mind the gun looking like crap.

Comment

One other thing dipping painting etc. those finishes will come off if you get some brands of solvent or borecleaner on them and you are back to an ugly gun. Nothing in the way of solvent will remove Cerakote. It's a baked on finish that wears better than anything I've ever seen before.

Comment

I agree with rezavoirdog's idea of the tape. I have used it before. It isn't that expensive, and is not permanent. You can peel it off to even use a different pattern.

It is not as smooth and clean looking as a fancy job, but you can change colors and patterns quickly, for about $7.

Comment

Duracoating a gun is said to be highly effective. It does not ware easily and is weatherproof. It also prevents rust. You can pick from solid colors or even purchas a pattern kit to make a camo pattern on the gun. Justy type duracoat into google and you will find your' results.

Comment

I'd go with Dels idea that way you never have to mess with it again.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DckZYJ2Yek0

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad