X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Bernard
    replied
    Originally posted by mattreney View Post
    yeah thats definatly a plus side my dad uses a 12 guage and i use my old .410 i can minuver my gun through the thicker cover a lot easier plus it doesnt make a mess when you hit the bird ive seen a lot of people completely destroy their birds just because of the power of their guns
    The different shotgun gauges are like tools in a tool box. Each one is good for something.
    I love the .410 for California hunting. We'll see how the lead free nonsense pans out for the sub gauges.

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Great for squirrels!

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Great for squirrels!

Leave a comment:

• Mike Richardson
    replied
    I have 12s and 20s but the 410 Mossberg was my firs shotgun, and still is my first choice for grouse. And a lot of people overlook the self defence applications of a 410 loaded with 000 or 00 buck or even the newer pdx loads. The low recoil and light weight, make it ideal for smaller people or elderly, who wouldn't otherwise be able to handle a shotgun.

Leave a comment:

• buddyh
    replied
    My first shotgun was a .410. It was an old single shot, exposed hammer gun. I swear the steel around the breech was an inch thick. A friend in wood shop refinished the stock and foreend for me and they came out beautiful. In hindsight they looked like $1000 rims on a $200 car.

I now have different single shot .410 plus two bolt actions. I love them for squirrels.

Leave a comment:

• Grassroots89
    replied
    Good for squirles.

Leave a comment:

• Cazador119
    replied
    Midway sell's brass .410 hulls, they should cost less over time if you reload...

Leave a comment:

• Keith Costley
    replied
    A .410 shotgun is a lot of fun to hunt with and shoot for target practice. On the plus side, it has a minimum amount of recoil; however, on the down side, the ammo is more difficult to find and very, very expensive in comparison to the standard 20 and 12 guage loads.

Leave a comment:

• grant77
    replied
    Its great for learning to hunt.

Leave a comment:

• Haydeen
    replied
    my first real gun was a 410, I have killed several squirls with it and a grouse and a racoon. its a great gun.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Greene
    replied
    I have a .410 Mossberg shotgun. It will be the 1st shotgun my boys shoot.

Leave a comment:

• mcdlacrosse9
    replied
    Its a great way to train at the range, especially for competition trap shooting. If you can hit consistently with a .410, you'll be deadly when it comes time to pull out the 12 gauge.

Leave a comment:

• Big C
    replied
    My first gun was a .410 and I still use it.

Leave a comment:

• Reid Jones
    replied
    ammo for a 410 is more expensive than 12 gauge shells

Leave a comment:

• bomberpride
    replied
    I don't like them the smallest id go is a 20 gauge

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad