Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes a 22 is just fine for a coyote.

Comment

.17, .22 I wouldn't shoot anything bigger than a coon with those calibers, unless you really like trackin wounded dogs trough the brush.

Comment

I assume you mean a 22 long rifle. Yes it will kill a coyote. 22s have killed just about every critter there is in the western hemisphere. That doesn't mean it should be your weapon of choice if coyotes are what you are going out to hunt specifically. Depending on where you hunt them, (they've infested the east coast now and there are lots of woods here) you might consider a shotgun with number 4 buckshot when hunting woods or, out in the wide open spaces, use a varmint cartridge. (I love my 25-06 for both varmints and deer) If you're just squirell hunting with your 22 and one wanders up, go ahead and shoot it. If you can get a shot at it standing still, put it in it's brain.

Comment

Yea it will kill one. Its not recommended, but it will work. just make sure you get pretty close and try for a head shot.

Comment

yes it will , fifty yards is close to max on coyote.. behind the shoulder will work at 50 yards but it may run away before it dies.. you can kill them farther out than that with a 22lr but its mean to knowingly use a calibre that isn't strong enough for your prey.,, a grizzly bear stood in the record books for years that was taken with a 22lr,, shot placement is the key..

Comment

I have the same question, and I guess I'm going to get a lot of people on here telling me what an idiot I am, because I don't know what gun is what and what bullet is what. My husband brought home a basic rifle that he had when he was a kid that he shot rabbits with. It takes .22 shorts and longs. I like it because it's a fairly quiet gun and won't have the neighbors calling the cops. We have a coyote problem, in that they are ripping up my pig. I have a livestock guardian dog, but I don't think it's fair to leave him on his own. He could be killed if there were enough of them. Chewie is not only our guard dog, but our buddy. So we are dead broke, all out money is invested in these animals, but hey... it's dinner. We have half a box of these shells, the .22 shorts and this rifle which has the metal part you slide out and stick the bullet in there one at a time. I would like it know if I camp out at night and pick off a few coyotes with it, if it will kill them, too. We were stupid and tried shooting a pig with it that was dangerous and BOY that was a dumb idea. 7 shots pointblank to the skull and he was just ticked off. Won't do that again! So call me a dummy or ignorant if you must (looking at above posts), I am ignorant and uneducated in what guns do what. It would be kind of cool to have the pelt if I get one. The rifle is older, about twenty years old, and looks like the Army issue .22 basic rifle with a wood shoulder rest thing, and a pin you turn with a nickel or something that extends it out so that it's longer for longer arms. I like it because I am a short woman and it fits me nicely without too much kick to take proper aim and be safe.

Comment

Patricia, before you go out at night sight it in so you can get a good shot off, when you do stay up at night bait it in for a few nights with meat and go for the headshot.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                  What kind of .22? Rimfire? Centerfire? Magnum? Ask your question in a manner that does not make you look caliber challenged, and you might get an intelligent answer. Also, this question has hit this forum in various forms about 50 times. Will your next question be: What gun to hunt Bigfoot?
                  crm3006 I am getting a savage mark 2. It is a .22 rimfire and I am wondering what I can hunt with it besides squirrel, rabbit and other small game. Could I get a coyote with it?

Comment

Patricia - to specifically answer your scenario, yes your 22 should do the job. You say you're broke, and you already have this gun, so yes... you can use that. You also say noise is a concern, so again, a .22 isnt a horrible choice guven yoi constrains.

However, I'd use LR (Long Rifle) ammunition and I wouldnt use the shorts for this job. Shorts are a LOT quieter, but also a lot less powerful. Longs have more powder and more power, and LR have more oompf yet.

Comment

Gonna get my first serious air rifle a Gamo bone collecter bull whisper .22 it has 975 fps I'm wondering of I have the right pellet will it humanly kill a hog Kodi nox or coyote? Humanely kill as in goes down instantly with no struggle.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad