Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a 22 kill a coyote?

Will a 22 kill a coyote?

A cast iron frying pan up side the head will probably kill it but that would not be my weapon of choice and neither would a .22. Now will we try for the .177 pellet gun? Why is everyone afraid to use a proper caliber on coyotes? I view killing coyotes as a public service, but even they deserve a humane kill.

Comment

What kind of .22? Rimfire? Centerfire? Magnum? Ask your question in a manner that does not make you look caliber challenged, and you might get an intelligent answer. Also, this question has hit this forum in various forms about 50 times. Will your next question be: What gun to hunt Bigfoot?

Comment

Im assuming your talking about a 22lr, and yes it will at close range with a good shot but not recomended, almost any other gun would be a much better choice for coyotes, even they deserve a clean kill. Use enough gun for what your hunting

Comment

Was Ed "Too Tall" Jones too tall?

Comment

Yeah it will kill one. Sourdough Dave took the words right out of my mouth.

Comment

yes it will if you hit it properly. a 22 will kill a deer if you hit it properly. a gun is a gun and if you hit something properly with the bullet you are shooting you will most likely kill it

Comment

I shoot them with what I am carrying at the time. I have shot a couple with a 22 LR, but most with my shotgun while bird hunting. I prefer my 264 Win Mag when I am actually hunting them.

Comment

we shoot coyotes with any gun we have with us we hate em and we're overpopulated we shoot em with anything even pepper em with a shotgun if were turkey hunting and one walks out and a 22 will kill one

Comment

well I know this old timer that shot his first deer with 22 short.I think 22 will kill on but just go with a 223

Comment

Hell just use grenades put it to rest PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The 22lr is deadly, I like the 22 magnum more than newer more expensive varmint ammo. Truck loads of big deer were taken by local poachers, but now they have no trucks and no licenses, head shots and vital shots equate to dead. If you doubt its killing power watch the swamp men kill 700lb gators with them with a single shot behind the eyes. If you want the hides a bigger gun will increase your recovery rates. One brick of 22lrs for 15 bucks goes a LONG way. It is also good for plinking and increasing freehand consistency. I have seen them drop cows with them at the slaughter house-one shot lights out. Use enough accuracy, it's never the gun's fault.

Comment

.223 would really be my choice if I had to shoot a yote, disregard my grenade comment, but we've had this question today twice within 4 posts!

Comment

it will but a higher caliber would be wayy better.I do not recommend hunting coyotes with a .22 I would recommend a .223 or .243

Comment

Believe it or not coyote are not all that hard to kill. A stick up side the head does them in when I trap them. They actually cowar down when I approach them. .22 short for the big ones and yes, even the .177 pellet gun will dispatch them. Right in the corner of the eye or through the ear. Don't know why everybody thinks they are wolves ,they aren't. Yes a misplaced shot just makes them run, it does on a crow too or a rabbit. If you make the correct shot you don't have to worry about it. I just love the mentality of using a Howitzer on a squirrel,or maybe a .375 H&H on a mouse. Unless you are gonna throw away the pelt, HEAD SHOTS or # 4 copper buffed 12 gauge. I even head shoot with .244 and .22/250 no science in that, it drops them and there is no tracking. They are not that hard to kill.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad