Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best time of year to hunt coyotes? Any good tips for coyote hunting as well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best time of year to hunt coyotes? Any good tips for coyote hunting as well?

What is the best time of year to hunt coyotes? Any good tips for coyote hunting as well?

winter time. i hunt them after big game seasons end. overcast, no or little wind. get VERY good with your calls. they are smart and calling is a challenge if they have been pressured. good camo. hide well. shoot straight.

Comment

A great time to hunt coyotes is anytime you can go; however, the best time is when the temperatures have been well below freezing for several days with snow on the ground for several days as well.

Comment

Winter is when they have the best coat.

Comment

Around my part of the world ( upstate ny ) january -february is the best because of the breeding season.

Comment

winter is what everyone says, and I agree if you want good prime furs, but if you're looking for numbers they seem most active in March, or at least much more than right now

Comment

Breeding season late January and Febuary. But any time you can hunt them is a great time.

Comment

Between now and spring warm-up. I used to say spring thaw but I live in Ohio now and it isn't that bad here, although everyone is terrified at the "brutal winters" we get here.

Comment

my favorite days of the year are when the temperature is anywhere from 10 to -10 in michigan with about a foot of snow on the ground. its so cold and they have to eat to survive they gotta come into that call. and its easier to do it at midday for me, cause i can use a rifle and hit them when there still aways away before they smell me.

Comment

First snow is a great time. Find a time when the rabbits are running and the coyotes will follow.

Comment

Early February is my favorite. They will be less nocturnal during that time because of breeding season. Also the snow is usually good for visibility, especially at night with a full moon. Where winter has been harsh, they are also starting to be more competitive for food and will rush to a call quicker than before. Best advice, hunt where there are coyotes and hunt in the middle of the night with the full moon if legal. They are MUCH dumber during that time of day and come to a call with reckless abandon. Don't blow the call too much and don't move. If you don't have a coyote up in 15 minutes, move on to the next set.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to TGIF; Shake it
                        by PigHunter
                        I agree, "Hopelessly Devoted" is a great song. Here's a before and after of Olivia's makeover in Grease. Unfortunately, I tend to go for the...
                        Today, 05:38 PM
                      • TGIF; Shake it
                        by fitch270
                        Don’t have to explain it do I?

08-03-2022, 08:11 AM
                      • Reply to TGIF; Shake it
                        by MattM37
                        Nice tribute, PH.

I just found that out a few minutes ago. Another icon of our lifetime gone. My best bud Billy and I watched Grease...
                        Today, 05:17 PM
                      • Reply to "Inflation 'Pro'duction Bill"
                        by FirstBubba
                        LMBO!

Worked with a preacher one time.
                        He came into the office to release the midnight operator, who happened to be sitting at the...
                        Today, 04:34 PM
                      • "Inflation 'Pro'duction Bill"
                        by FirstBubba
                        I'm still paying over $4/gal for diesel. Sometimes over $5/gal.

Inflation is still higher than my COLA raise.

Groceries are...
                        Today, 07:36 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X