Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

starting to get into predator hunting (fpx, coyote, etc.) anyways, best size of rifle? .270, 7mm, 25-06, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smallgamehunter25
    replied
    I was given the advice to use what I have for coyotes, and I do, I'm not gonna go buy a new gun for a animal with no limit, if you got a .270, use it by all means, especially if your not worrying about hides gettin ripped up.

Leave a comment:

• davycrockettfv
    replied
    Any centerfire rifle, or even a good shot with a .22 LR will take out coyotes and foxes. It really depends on if you want to keep the pelts or not. You can get close and detailed with a .17HMR, or blast away with a 30-06. Don't forget to look into a high velocity shotgun load as well. With a full choke, they can be pretty effective out to a decent range.

Leave a comment:

• huskerguy
    replied
    I like to use .243. Shoots fast, straight. And if your like me running out of room in the case for guns its' also is my deer gun. Just use a smaller grain if you want to keep the pelts

Leave a comment:

• radam
    replied
    .223 or .22/250 would be my pick

Leave a comment:

• Phil1227
    replied
    those calibers are pretty big for coyotes, I would go with a .243 or .223

Leave a comment:

• 870 wingmaster 101
    replied
    220 Swift, .243, and 22-250 are all top of the line varmit rifles

Leave a comment:

• Clay Cooper
    replied
    223: A little short on long range and effective easliy by crosswind.

22-250, 223 on steroids and able to make those long range shots but still affected by wend but not near as much.

25-06, a cross between a 22-250 and a 270, half and half of both worlds with the ability of long range,very low recoil, enough steam to knock down an Elk a bet light but it is legal and smallest recommended cartridge. It's my go to cartridge when the wind is up. Back in 80, I replaced my 300 Win Mag and replaced it with a 25-06 and never regretted it.

220 Swift excellent cartridge, hell on barrels (short life)

270, excellent cartridge. 130's flat trajectory and enough steam for caribou even.

If wind is not a problem, 22-250 hands down.

Wind is an issue, 25-06 hands down.

22-250, 25-06 and 270 ammunition can be purchased any where there is a Walmart.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Matt, I forgot to mention that you will save a lot in ammo cost and get more accurate loads by reloading. You will find the Hornady V-Max bullets to be exceptiounally accurate. These 40 and 50 grain bullets are deadly on coyotes, foxes, etc.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    You will love the 22-250 as long as you have an accurate rifle. Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• matt7987
    replied
    thanks! i think i'm gonna go with a 22-250... a savage axis camo, $400, not too bad of a deal.

Leave a comment:

• matt7987
    replied
    thanks! i think i'm gonna go with a 22-250... a savage axis camo, $400, not too bad of a deal.

Leave a comment:

• PAShooter
    replied
    The guns you mentioned could be used. They would be good dual purpose guns for varmints to deer+ (even elk)sized animals. Many more dedicated varmint types, 223, 220 Swift, 22-250,etc. I like 243 Win for varmints+.

Leave a comment:

• deerhunterrick
    replied
    Matt since you didn't say you'd be using this rifle for big game I'll limit my answer. the .22/250 is hard to beat. handloaded from 45gr cast up to 80 gr bullets you have just about everything covered that you would need in a varmint gun. The .243 would be a better choice for bucking the wind and maybe a little easier on barrel life but other then that they both will anchor the biggest of coyote out to 400 yards. I have heard great things about the Rugar .204 which is the .20 cal or 5mm platform from some friends. They tell me they are just as flat shooting and as accurate as the .22/250 and barrel heat and life are excellent. Not real sure on what bullets are available for reloading this round though. I have both the .22/250 and .243 and love them both. I have an old .220 swift, but that is real hard on barrels. Good luck and have some fun

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    There have been a number of posts on this over the last several days that you might check out. If you are getting a gun just for predators and other varmints I don't think you can go wrong with a 223. Lots of ammunition out there and the cost is very good.

Leave a comment:

• starting to get into predator hunting (fpx, coyote, etc.) anyways, best size of rifle? .270, 7mm, 25-06, etc.

starting to get into predator hunting (fpx, coyote, etc.) anyways, best size of rifle? .270, 7mm, 25-06, etc.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad