Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gonna sight in my .243 today, probally zero it at 150 or 200yds, and god willing we don't have school tommorow, due to the 5-7 i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, I agree ishawooa. NOTHING beats a day hiking or rather hunting in the snow covered NorthWestern Pa mountains. Its a whole other landscape, And I just have to sit a while and admire the view. Birds flitting about snow covered hemlocks, a spiker sprinkled in snow browsing through open patches in the laurel after a midday nap. Nothing compares.

Comment

Hey winmag your not going to start asking for hugs are you?

Comment

Ha no just got a soft spot for the wild. Now that I read that last one I guess it was a little frilly.

Comment

And I been readin' a little too much pa game news. Writing style gets stuck in ur head

Comment

Don't worry I'll go turn a couple rabbits into ground meat with my .243, then use them to attract some song dogs, which in turn will provide me with 20 bucks and the satisfaction of wiping some of those overpopulating deer munchers out of the woods.

Comment

Fresh snow makes my trigger finger start to twitch. I have had some great days of coyote hunting in Jan and Feb when the rest of the world came to a halt because of excessive snow. We will have a full moon on the 16th and if legal and safe you might try calling coyotes in the middle of the night. They will come if they are there! It will look like mid-day through your new scope on low power. If you aim your .243 about 1/8 inch over the rabbit's head and right between its ears, you will find that it won't be blown up at all. I don't drag rabbits along for coyote bait though because I like to eat them. Also, by the time the coyotes get close enough to smell rabbit, they are flattened. If they come in packs, bark after you shoot the first one and others may stop to look back. My brother just got another one that way a couple of days ago and it has worked numerous times.

Comment

Hey thanks dakotaman I'll be out hunting them this weekend, and plan on sitting on a pipeline by our camp at the top of a hill looking over 500yds of a dip with a call and a dead rabbit in the middle- should put them far enough away to get a couple shots off.

Comment

In the full moon light also

Comment

Good luck .300... let us know how you do. The 500 yards of open space sounds good. I have never had any luck with a bait unless you take a lot of effort to de-scent your clothes and especially your gloves... coyotes will give it a wide birth and your footprints, etc. may spook them. Even if it is perfect, you may have to watch it for 2 weeks before it draws a coyote. I think you will find they have homing radar on rabbit squeals and will come right to your position as long as you you don't move or over do the call.

Comment

I love hunting in the snow no matter what the game is! And I love hunting with a .243. I deer hunted with a Remington Mohawk 600 .243 for over 25 years and harvested dozens of whitetails and coyotes. The .243 is a fun gun to shoot with a minimum amount of recoil. It is a more than adequate caliber to hunt deer and coyotes with.

Comment

love some snow on the ground when i hunt and set ne traps, you can see where there mainly go through, its great for deer hunting too and you can find feeding and bedding areas

Comment

Why'd I get negatives? Is it not good to want wild places to be conserved and protected?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad