Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody out there eat possum's? I've heard of folks eating them when times were tough but does anybody out there actually e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody out there eat possum's? I've heard of folks eating them when times were tough but does anybody out there actually e

Does anybody out there eat possum's? I've heard of folks eating them when times were tough but does anybody out there actually enjoy eating them? I guess I would eat one if I was REALLY hungry.I personally don't want to touch them without gloves on let alone eat one..LOL! Just curious..

I remember reading somewhere that if they are not fed persimmons, the meat tastes gamey, so they must be considered edible in some parts of the country.

Comment

Pursuant to what 99explorer said, I used to hear that folks would catch them alive in the summer and feed them peaches. They said you've never had anything as good as a peach-fed possum.

Just like armadillos, I haven't ever gotten hungry or curious enough to get past the original packaging---they are just too nasty looking to clean.

Comment

I know some old boys that Eat Raccoon but pass up on
        Opossum, yet will trap bore hogs and feed them corn to clean them out.

Comment

My grandad said they ate it when he was young, personally there would have to be nothing but, skunks, dillos, and possums left before I would.

Comment

if you will eat pig, you will eat anything!

Comment

I've ate possum, coon and dillos. Dillos are by far the best tasting small wildlife I've tasted. If you've ate at the local mexican or hot wok, you've ate possum!

Comment

Never been THAT hungry!

Comment

Have heard old timers talk about eating possum, among other things. I know that when we trapped as youngsters, once the coons we caught were skinned out, we'd sell them. You had to leave the paws on, otherwise the buyers would pass, thinking you were trying to sell them a cat....

Cgull,
                  LMAO
                  How would the Hot Wok get enough possums and dillos to make General Tso's(ahem)Chicken? Or are you saying that they are just adding it in with all the other mystery meat(dog, cat, etc.) there?
                  Is someone there on roadkill detail????

Comment

Over 40 years ago, I worked in a quarry during my summers. A worker we called "Possum Belly" would take any fresh road killed possum other workers gave him with a smile.

Comment

I never have eaten one, but I don't see why someone couldn't. I probably would prefer an animal that doesn't eat the garbage I throw out, but I don't see why a cleaner-fed possum couldn't taste good.

Comment

I am not sufficiently curious that I would ever want to taste anything called "mystery meat." It might be what's found on a Chinese menu as "sum yung guy."

Comment

I was told its really not good to eat possom for a few reasons they are carnivorous and eat other animals and they are mammals too closely related to humans so it would be like cannibalism. Their meat I heard is really greasy. .Also in the bible Deuteronomy chapter 14 verses 6-9 you may eat any any animal that has split hoof devided in two and chew cud.. how ever of those that chew cud or that have a split hoof completely divided you may not eat camel the rabbit or the Coney. although they chew cud they do not have a split hoof. They are ceremonially UN clean for you ..the pig is also UN clean although it has split hoof , they do not chew cud you are not to eat their meat or touch their carcasses ..in biblical times pork wasn't salted when slaughtered and spoiled very quickly if it wasn't pigs also eat garbage I know of a pig farm in New Jersey that was located near a garbage dump and slop trucks coming from the bay side prison would take food wast to a pig farm that's why pork was considered UN clean. Just imagine what raccoons eat some animals go rabbid and diseased eating garbage!

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Denapoli View Post
                            I was told its really not good to eat possom for a few reasons they are carnivorous and eat other animals and they are mammals too closely related to humans so it would be like cannibalism. Their meat I heard is really greasy. .Also in the bible Deuteronomy chapter 14 verses 6-9 you may eat any any animal that has split hoof devided in two and chew cud.. how ever of those that chew cud or that have a split hoof completely divided you may not eat camel the rabbit or the Coney. although they chew cud they do not have a split hoof. They are ceremonially UN clean for you ..the pig is also UN clean although it has split hoof , they do not chew cud you are not to eat their meat or touch their carcasses ..in biblical times pork wasn't salted when slaughtered and spoiled very quickly if it wasn't pigs also eat garbage I know of a pig farm in New Jersey that was located near a garbage dump and slop trucks coming from the bay side prison would take food wast to a pig farm that's why pork was considered UN clean. Just imagine what raccoons eat some animals go rabbid and diseased eating garbage!
                            I take it you're a vegan or vegetarian.
                            But here is some news, meant with kindness. Those laws which forbid the eating of certain meats were for a certain time and people. By the way, Jesus rescinds these laws when He said, "...it is what comes out of a man that defiles him, not what goes in." (see Matt. 5:11).
                            Also, if you're going to appeal to the Bible, be consistent. When you said opossums are closely related to man, you appealed to man's idea. But the Bible teaches man is above beast and everything is created after their own kind (see Genesis 1). Also, evolutionist teaches that man is related to bananas. So by your logic should we not eat bananas also?

Not only are you living by laws that weren't meant for us, but also by laws that have been lifted. And also be consistent when using the Bible. You've appealed to both man's belief of truth (evolution) and the Bible.

Comment

Yes possum tastste like beef only difference in a stew is beef taste dry.possum on other had is isn't dry tasting an is very good recommendation is cook in pressure cooker debone an then add the typical stew items like onins potatoes an carrots almost like roast .but better an use a corn starch grave .along with macormick steak season. I wish I could buy possum meat in store but never happen.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Finally after 35 years of looking I found one.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Is that the one with the barrel that pops up in the back to load the first round?
                                Knew a guy who had one. Always wanted to make an offer on it,...
                                Today, 09:42 AM
                              • Finally after 35 years of looking I found one.
                                by Milldawg
                                Well it’s not fancy it’s beretta 950b .22 short. It’s the same type of pistol I learned to shoot a pistol with as wee lad. This one was passed to...
                                Today, 08:31 AM
                              • Reply to Apologies
                                by Pmacc60
                                Turned on Fox News this morning and heard disturbing things about Joe Biden’s executive orders and I started to get nervous until I realized it was...
                                Today, 09:13 AM
                              • Apologies
                                by Pmacc60
                                I must apologize to Honk, Rock Rat and 99 ! Today I watched and really listened to the inauguration and commentary on ABC. I realize I am a White Suprematist...
                                Yesterday, 08:22 PM
                              • Reply to Apologies
                                by franchi20
                                I have been labeled as and intend to stay a bitter deplorable. I don't smell good enough to shop at Wal-Mart. It's what they expect and if I change, who...
                                Today, 08:55 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X