Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would your recommended shot for coyotes with a 12 ga be? I plan on baiting some this winter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would your recommended shot for coyotes with a 12 ga be? I plan on baiting some this winter.

What would your recommended shot for coyotes with a 12 ga be? I plan on baiting some this winter.

try this

Comment

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hevi-Shot174-34Dead-Coyote34-Ammunition/706224.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2 Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26Nt k%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Ddead%2Bcoyote%26x%3D0%26y% 3D0&Ntt=dead+coyote

Comment

I don't understand that stuff. It talks about great range advantage and whatnot, but 4 buck carries and penetrates even better, even if it's "plain old" lead. You can pay for something that says Coyote on it or just kill 'em with cheaper magnum loads of 4 buck.

Comment

I use Remingtons Duplex Magnum 4x6 shot shells,
          I blasted one a week ago at the gut/pile near camp.

Comment

Unless you are going to be hidden in a blind within 20 yards of the bait, you would be better served by a rifle.

Comment

I think Shane has his finger on this one and that you would be well served with #4 buckshot out past 50 yards with the right choke, but I wouldn't push the range much past that.

Comment

If you should happen to "miss" any of those 50 yard shots, don't blame it on your choice of shot size. You would do well to pattern your load on paper before taking to the field. You owe that much to any animal you intend to hunt with buckshot.

Comment

well if buck shot isent leagal to hunt with t shot works great use a full coke '' for steel '' and you have a coyote killer

Comment

well if buck shot isent leagal to hunt with t shot works great use a full coke '' for steel '' and you have a coyote killer

Comment

I also agree with #4 Buckshot. It is lethal given the appropriate range.

Or just get a .22-250 and wreak havoc a quarter mile away.

Comment

What about slugs in a rifled barrel? Or should I rely on more of a spread?

Comment

J4, I looked at that ammo,and it seems good, but then realized over 3 bucks a round is a bit much for some yotes

Comment

if you just wanna kill them you could use slugs like you said but if your going to sell the hide use buck shot or t shot but check to make shure if buck shot is legal cause it isent here '' Minnesota'' and my buddys uncle got caught and he got in alot of trouble

Comment

If buckshot is legal use #4 buck. It has worked well for me in the past.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad