Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i just started hunting squirrels. Im stalking and sitting. I watching on the ground though. Should I be looking in the trees mor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i just started hunting squirrels. Im stalking and sitting. I watching on the ground though. Should I be looking in the trees mor

i just started hunting squirrels. Im stalking and sitting. I watching on the ground though. Should I be looking in the trees more so? to see if they are just hanging out in there? basically, typically are more squirrels shot from trees and should i be looking there more? and any other tips would be awesome! thanks

In my neck of the woods the squirrels are cutting hickory nuts and what little acorn mast we have. I like to still hunt squirrels this time of the year. I'll listen for the wrasping noise of the squirrel chewing hickory nuts, locate the activity by watching for bouncing and moving branches and put the sneak on it.

Comment

My son and I went turkey hunting this past Sunday, and commented several times about how we'd have MUCH better luck hunting squirrels.

For advice, find a spot in the woods where the acorns, walnuts, hickory are dropping, and sit down, and sit still. Keep an eye out for them up in the trees, and an ear out for them scurrying around on the ground. Once you spot one, do like Beekeeper said,and put a 'sneak on' him. good luck.

Comment

you are not wrong to look for them on the ground. Listening for them stirring in the leaves is one of the best ways to locate them and know they are really doing what you want: ranging around for food! btw don't shoot if they have their heads buried in the leaves, wait till they stick their heads back up.

but look and listen in the trees too, so I guess I am saying you need to do both.

Comment

You need to check the ground, But Split the time watching in trees find mast producing trees and camp out near them when your sitting watch the trees and ground and you'll bag more squirrels.

Comment

reds make tons of noise with calls and are pretty easy to find when there doing so. A trick i found on here is when you spot a squirrel and suddenly you can't see him or get a shot take to quarters together to get them to look. I think its supposed to sound like another squirrel eating on the ground and squirrels are kind of territorial.

Comment

Depends on where you are at. Where I hunt the squirrels are finishing up on pecans and moving on to acorns, also where I hunt the later in the year the more likly the squirrels will be on the ground. After October I see more on the ground then in trees.

Comment

My grandfather would shoot the nest with a .410 and then let his brothers pick off the ones that came out with a 22lr. My dad had good luck doing this too with a 22/.410 combo gun by himself.

Comment

before you do as cmikles1 stated just know that its probably against the law... (it is in indiana)

Comment

Saturday morning when sun rises, I will be lurking around in a hardwood hollow, mostly watching for movement in the treetops, but also keeping an eye on the ground around me too. I am soooo very looking forward to it too.

Comment

As far as shooting the nest. It is highly unethical and in WV it is against the law. We have a law that says you can not shoot at game that is not plainly visible. Look both places. Find an area with hickorys or walnuts or oaks and which trees they are feeding in. Camp out near these trees and watch in the trees for them feeding and also on the ground for them coming and leaving the trees.

Comment

Listen for them is a good way to locate but I wlook in the trees more and that can help for you to at least catch a glimps then focus in on them and then getting a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
                          As far as shooting the nest. It is highly unethical and in WV it is against the law. We have a law that says you can not shoot at game that is not plainly visible. Lucky Patcher Kodi Look both places. Find an area with hickorys or walnuts or oaks and which trees they are feeding in. Camp out near these trees and watch in the trees for them feeding and also on the ground for them coming and leaving the trees.
                          Once you spot one, do like Beekeeper said,and put a 'sneak on' him. good luck.
                          Last edited by ADYLATYSA; 10-10-2019, 04:27 PM.

Comment

This time of year I see them in trees most often, as the leaves fall I begin to see them on the ground more. In WV it’s usually late October, in NC I see it more around late November.

Comment

Go sit under some nut trees.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad