Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the most lead you've ever put in a squrrel with a 22. before finally killing it? the other day i shot a squrrel three ti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the most lead you've ever put in a squrrel with a 22. before finally killing it? the other day i shot a squrrel three ti

what is the most lead you've ever put in a squrrel with a 22. before finally killing it? the other day i shot a squrrel three times in the head a twice in the shoulder before it fell

I don't remember having much trouble with squirrels but jack rabbits have given me fits over the years. I remember shooting one twice with a .22-.250 (52 gr/3800) before it quit trying to run. About 15 minutes later I looked in its direction, since we were shooting prairie dogs and had not moved, and the danged rabbit was getting up to crawl off again. I nailed him one last time and then walked about 150 yards to be sure he was no longer in action. Those old jacks can "pack lead".

Comment

wow tough litte bugger

Comment

will, I bet your first shot killed him and he clenched up with claws clingin to the branch. It just took the other shots to knock it off.

Comment

As a kid, I once had an "air rifle safari". I was the "client" and my buddy was the "PH". I saw a squirrel in the bush, shot him, he was still going, shot him again. My PH put an anchor in him. Tough little bugger...turns out we both hit him in the heart. It was pretty much gonzo. The other shot was in the rear ribs. I feel like that experience readied me for Africa...haha.

Comment

One shot, there was nothing left from my 22-250!

Comment

I put an arrow thru a squirrel and the bugger ran up a tree and got away with my arrow sticking in him. It was a field point.

Comment

I pumped 3 12ga. 6's into one once still ran off about 3 mins. later heard a thump after he finally fell out of a tree these were close(about 5 yard)shots too couldn't believe it one time knocked one down w/1 shot from a .22lr at like 75 yards can't explaine it squirrels are a luck of the draw critter i guess either tough as nails or glass jawed.

Comment

Del, that same thing happened to me with a rabbit here in town. Caught the bastard eating down a tomato plant. Shot him with a field point and he took off with arrow and all. Never did find him. Hope no neighbors did, this happened many years ago , statue of limitations are in effect I'm sure.

Comment

I've pumped 6 CCI minimags into a squirrel before it stopped. He was running along a branch when the first shot knocked him down. He hit the ground and started running and I shot him again and again and he slowed a little with each shot. He finally stopped after the sixth shot (that is sixth shot that made contact... I was really having a hay-day with the 10/22 and the 50 round mag).

Comment

Once we caught a wild cat in our live trap. (It had been eating our chickens.) Since I prefer to shoot animals on the run, i let it out and it started running. At 10 yards i shot it hitting it in the head. It kept going, so I let off another round. Another head shot. Still running. A third and final head shot stopped it and it tumbled to the ground.

Comment

Same here.
                        I shot a squirrel three times with a .22, it flinched each time, and finally, as I prepared to squeeze the fourth round off, it tumbled backwards.

I did shoot another squirrel with an arrow,twenty feet up a tree, as I was putting a stalk on some deer.
                        After I got back,it looked like it was 50 feet up the tree.

I had a buddy huntin' with me, who was a body builder, and he put a bear hug on the tree and fetched my arrow and squirrel.

The arrow was a little stubborn. He had to wrap both legs around the tree, and used both hands to work the arrow free.

Comment

about ten bullets but little did I know he was already dead just couldn't fall off the tree until we shot the whole branch off with a 12 gauge.

Comment

One Shot, One Kill!

Comment

One Shot, One Kill!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad