Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good method for tanning hides (mostly small game but i would like to work up to deer)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good method for tanning hides (mostly small game but i would like to work up to deer)?

What is a good method for tanning hides (mostly small game but i would like to work up to deer)?

There is a method where you use the brain of the animal to tan the hide, never done it though. Google it. A heavy salt works too, but again i don't know specifics. See Google

Comment

Alex, the main ingredient is sulphuric acid/water mixture. Be careful handling sulphuric acid, but it is available at your local auto parts store for re-filling auto batteries. Basically, you scrape your hide clean, throw it in clean water and let it soak, then scrape the hair off if that is what you want to do. You use a scraping board or the edge of a post. Then soak it in your mixture of sulphuric acid and cool water, let it soak overnight, take it out and rinse it in cool water and borax. Then scrape on that sucker some more and repeat. When the hide is clean, then you take it out, rinse it again and let it dry. Then scrape it while it's dry and work neatsfoot oil into it and if you have a good, thick buck hide you can use it to make leggings and things out of. A GREAT source is from a little known publisher in San Antonio, and the author calls himself "Little Bear." And if you google "Little Bear's guide for Boys" or something like that, you'll get the exact steps. Good luck

Comment

Buy a tanning kit from Tandy Leather.

Comment

hes right if u skin and flesh the animal, u can mash up its brain into almost a liquid/paste and spread an even layer all over it, i have used this to tan shoulder mount capes but u should have enough to do the entire cape. the acidity in the brain is just perfect enough to turn the skin into a leather. let the skin salt for only about a day to dry it a little bit cause its like puting oil( brain) on water and it wont let it soak in.

Comment

get on cabelas website and buy the stuff you need. plus google.it to find out how to use it properly

Comment

Agreed with texasfirst answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deadeyedave08 View Post
                hes right if u skin and flesh the animal, u can mash up its brain into almost a liquid/paste and spread an even layer all over it, i have used this to tan shoulder mount capes but u should have enough to do the entire cape. the acidity in the brain is just perfect enough to turn the skin into a leather. let the skin salt for only about a day to dry it a little bit cause its like puting oil( brain) on water and it wont let it soak in.
                Deadeyedave08 tell me if I got this right please. I would stretch and deflesh the hide then put the brain paste on then salt it and let it sit for a day or two to dry. Is that right?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                  by fitch270
                  The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                  Today, 07:01 PM
                • So is everyone ready for deer season
                  by Milldawg
                  With my hectic schedule between work and owning and operating another business now. My shooting and hunting for this year have been shelved. So I am going...
                  Yesterday, 09:20 AM
                • Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                  by 99explorer
                  Rumor has it that Trump will be bringing a bullhorn to the final debate tonight in Nashville, so he will not have to depend on an open microphone to be...
                  Today, 06:49 PM
                • Debate #2: new rules
                  by FirstBubba
                  New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                  The "Biden Campaign"!...
                  10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                • Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                  by 99explorer
                  I just checked and there are currently 49 users online at the Outdoor Life site.
                  But no political topics in the "Other" forum.
                  We
                  Today, 06:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X