Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a good reasonably priced rifle for coyote hunting that has fixed sights but you can also attach a scope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a good reasonably priced rifle for coyote hunting that has fixed sights but you can also attach a scope?

Whats a good reasonably priced rifle for coyote hunting that has fixed sights but you can also attach a scope?

I woukld pick thwe Remington 700 in 25-06. Take it from this “Crusty OL’NCO” that’s been dar and dun dat! Get’ya a 25-06 and be done with it! Simply put it’s by far the most all of the above cartridges on the market. Easy on the pocket with brutally awesome performance and is 100fps faster than the 257WSSM and everyone knows how much the ammo cost for this$$$$ In open country the 25-06 is better than the 22-250 or 243 because it bucks the wind a lot better and the knockdown power from rodents to Elk with less recoil than a 270. Recoil? LOL! I call it a loud dry fire!! I make all my 25-06 cases out of Lake City Military brass 30-06 cases. Granted, I’ve taken more deer with my 22-250 than all my other rifles put together but if I’m going to single one cartridge out, it would be the 25-06 hands down. My Grandson Alex dropped a nice buck this last season at 250 yards and moments later a doe at 150 yards, both with one shot and this kid has to stand 3 times to cast a shadow which means he is recoil sensitive. And yes, I lost a rifle; he will not give it back!!!!

Comment

For coyote only 22-250!

Comment

if i were you i would buy a remington model 700 in 30-06 its a reliable gun and it can also be used for a variety of species including coyotes at vary long ranges.

Comment

I infer from the question that this is purely and simply a coyote rifle. I agree the Remington Model 700BDL or ADL is the best choice and many are available (used) at very reasonable prices. The factory's sights on this popular model are good, there is a good selection of bases and rings should you choose to scope it. As for cartridge choices, I'd say the .243 and .22-250 will not disappoint you.

Comment

Two answers. For a truly all around rifle buy your self a 25/06. Savage and Tika build great rifles for the money. both have excellent triggers for long range work. The 25/06 with a 100 grain bullet makes a great duel purpose load for anthing from varmints to deer. Ammo is available at every "Wally World."

Second choice for varmints only would be either brand above in .223 (Sorry Chad). Better barrel life and only about 100 yards behind the 22/250.

Comment

I'd go with a 22-250 or a 25-06 in a Savage with a semi-heavy barrel and a 4.5-14 Leupold.

Comment

I would go 25-06. It has the speed of the .22s but it doesn't slow down after 200 yards. It also hits with a whollop at long range. I used to shoot a .220 Swift which is even faster than the .22/250 and quit using it because it was like throwing pepper into the wind. It started out real fast but it slowed down real bad beyond 200 yards... the lead on a running coyote was difficult. Plus the .25 is a great deer rifle too. Don't get me wrong, the .22/250 is a wonderful cartrige and I loved my Swift but I always went to the 25-06 once I had it because it gave me an edge.

Comment

The savage 11 Hog Hunter fires a .223, has iron sights, and will work perfectly fine for a predator rifle.

Comment

I would go for 25-06.

Comment

I would go for 25-06!

Comment

I would go for 25-06!

Comment

A good 25-06 would be perfect!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad