Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have some tips for picking a beagle puppy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• huskerguy
    replied
    It can vary, like wsimien said do a little back round check. I've heard guys saying not to take the head or alfa pup since it wont take orders very well. Not sure if that is true or not just what I've heard from the older guys.

Leave a comment:

• ETangler
    replied
    Females listen and train well. Walkers and plothounds are very reliable dogs. Just stay with them and use patience and you'll have a good dog.

Leave a comment:

• tourneyking734
    replied
    like beekeeper said get a female because they aren't as hardheaded, what we have found though is that you will either get one with a good nose or you won't. Just remember, sometimes beagles take a while to show their stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Herbie,

The answers above are good. I would add that I like to watch a litter and I pick the pup that always has his or her nose on ther ground and is inquisitive. I also like female dogs a little more as I feel they are less hard headed and develop earlier than most males.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    That answer is about the best you'll get. Remember there different types of beagles. Walkers, etc.

Leave a comment:

• wsimien
    replied
    If you are going to hunt with it check out its parents. Did either hunt? Where either trained? Body type? Energy level? Medical problems? They are usually a god indicator of what kind of dog your getting. If its going to be a family dog then just go off the "cuteness factor"

Leave a comment:

• herbie57_57
    started a topic Anyone have some tips for picking a beagle puppy?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hey Folks
    by MattM37
    Heck, I didn't even give anyone a dirty look this weekend. Not even when we went to a supposedly famous BBQ joint and my pulled-pork and brisket "platter"...
    Today, 07:33 PM
  • Hey Folks
    by jhjimbo
    Good Monday Morning

Hey folks, just a reminder, 99.9999% of law abiding gun owners did not shoot anybody this past weekend.
    Today, 11:12 AM
  • Reply to Hey Folks
    by jhjimbo
    The dog died....
    Today, 07:29 PM
  • Reply to Hey Folks
    by bowhunter75richard
    That must have been quite the interesting performance to see.....you mowing while on crutches......just how does one manage such a interesting feat ?...
    Today, 07:03 PM
  • Reply to Hey Folks
    by franchi20
    My guns are safer than Biden's German Shepherd. They haven't bitten anybody....
    Today, 07:03 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X