Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have some tips for picking a beagle puppy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have some tips for picking a beagle puppy?

Anyone have some tips for picking a beagle puppy?

If you are going to hunt with it check out its parents. Did either hunt? Where either trained? Body type? Energy level? Medical problems? They are usually a god indicator of what kind of dog your getting. If its going to be a family dog then just go off the "cuteness factor"

Comment

That answer is about the best you'll get. Remember there different types of beagles. Walkers, etc.

Comment

Herbie,

The answers above are good. I would add that I like to watch a litter and I pick the pup that always has his or her nose on ther ground and is inquisitive. I also like female dogs a little more as I feel they are less hard headed and develop earlier than most males.

Comment

like beekeeper said get a female because they aren't as hardheaded, what we have found though is that you will either get one with a good nose or you won't. Just remember, sometimes beagles take a while to show their stuff.

Comment

Females listen and train well. Walkers and plothounds are very reliable dogs. Just stay with them and use patience and you'll have a good dog.

Comment

It can vary, like wsimien said do a little back round check. I've heard guys saying not to take the head or alfa pup since it wont take orders very well. Not sure if that is true or not just what I've heard from the older guys.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                  by 99explorer
                  I love it when I have these guys on the ropes, with each one hoping the other will bail them out.
                  Hey CRM, have you heard any good conspiracy theories
                  Today, 10:19 PM
                • 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                  08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                  by FirstBubba
                  "... I should have been in Africa yesterday. Damned coronavirus! ..."
                  Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; Today, 06:25 PM.
                  Today, 10:15 PM
                • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                  by derek7
                  Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                  08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by 99explorer
                  Keep it up.
                  We are still waiting for an answer to my question in comment #56.
                  Today, 10:15 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X