2023 Preparations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 Preparations

Well, has anyone been doing anything yet for the upcoming seasons? We've had some nice chilly evenings and some cold rains, leaves are turning a bit, and it feels almost like fall.

I've got my license and doe tag, but still haven't called in for my HIP number yet. Heated up the leather boots the other night and smeared on a fresh coat of Sno-Seal beeswax. Took down the Gene Hill and Gordon MacQuarrie books and put them on the nightstand. I didn't even bother buying a turkey permit this fall, since we still just have a two-week, one-bird season. Time enough to get that in the spring.

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    Well, has anyone been doing anything yet for the upcoming seasons? We've had some nice chilly evenings and some cold rains, leaves are turning a bit, and it feels almost like fall.

I've got my license and doe tag, but still haven't called in for my HIP number yet. Heated up the leather boots the other night and smeared on a fresh coat of Sno-Seal beeswax. Took down the Gene Hill and Gordon MacQuarrie books and put them on the nightstand. I didn't even bother buying a turkey permit this fall, since we still just have a two-week, one-bird season. Time enough to get that in the spring.
    Lifetime tag, so I've got all the tags. Deer and turkey.
    Think my neighbor might help me out on location.
    I don't care about antlers. I'd just like to have one big old fat doe! 😉
    ....and maybe a big old tom!

Comment

Will just be hunting grouse and deer this year. Did not draw a doe permit for Maine. Shotgun is cleaned and ready for October grouse. I still need to get to the range and re-sight in my deer loads after using the rifle for moose last year. And the muzzleloader needs a workout. I love this time of year! 😁

Comment

Start practicing, Ohio Archery opens on the 24th.

Comment

Heck no have to find to time to even hunt this year.

Comment

My licenses are purchased. so that's done.

I'll be back to public land this season. That means walking or canoeing to good spots. So, I've been in the gym to prep.

Recent cataract surgery followed by Lasik has my dominate eye blurry while it heals. In the meantime, I plan to practice shooting left-handed with one of the shingle-shot rifles. Most likely it will be the 357 Maximum - still haven't taken any game with it.

Comment

Less than usual, just some maintenance work on the hill mostly.

Thanks for the reminder on HIP, hadn’t done that yet. Lifetime licenses get mailed to the house but we still had to put in for doe tags. Ended up with more tags than we need as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                My licenses are purchased. so that's done.

I'll be back to public land this season. That means walking or canoeing to good spots. So, I've been in the gym to prep.

Recent cataract surgery followed by Lasik has my dominate eye blurry while it heals. In the meantime, I plan to practice shooting left-handed with one of the shingle-shot rifles. Most likely it will be the 357 Maximum - still haven't taken any game with it.

Do you still use your bicycle-gamecart rig?

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Do you still use your bicycle-gamecart rig?
                  I haven't used that combo, mainly because of the hills in most of the places I hunt. But there's one public land section that's mostly flat and perfect for it. Also, I'm still considering converting that bike to electric assist

Comment

Recently got all our stuff moved into the new to us home and hopefully organized enough to hunt elk season in Colorado late October. I’ll likely start hunting the club lease after Thanksgiving some. I just need some trigger time to limber up for rifle season. Good luck, all!

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                      Recently got all our stuff moved into the new to us home and hopefully organized enough to hunt elk season in Colorado late October. I’ll likely start hunting the club lease after Thanksgiving some. I just need some trigger time to limber up for rifle season. Good luck, all!
                      Hey WAM. Good to hear the move went, uhm, okay and you're getting settled in.
                      Despise moving! 😖
                      First five years we were married, we moved over 10 times. Mostly work related.
                      These days, to move means pile it up and burn it!

Any who! Good to see you still kicking and getting outdoors!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad