Fancy Feast ... for the eagles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fancy Feast ... for the eagles!

Remember Gary Devine talking about keeping his cats inside at all times? I don't think even he imagined this fate, though.

Video: Eagle Brings House Cat to Nest | MeatEater Conservation (themeateater.com)

Now, THAT there is funny!
    I don't like cats anyway.
    Not that I mind folks having cats for pets, just keep 'em inside!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      Now, THAT there is funny!
      I don't like cats anyway.
      Not that I mind folks having cats for pets, just keep 'em inside!
      Around here the eagles are almost totally fish eaters, always nested above a river. I'm sure they wouldn't pass up any targets of opportunity, though. One nest I know about is right alongside a farm, in the belt of trees between fields and river. I've seen the immature eagles hunting the fields from time to time. Who knows, they've probably enjoyed a little barn-cat snack from time to time, themselves.

Comment

Karma in action. Still seemed a bit weird seeing just the head left staring up like “WTH?”.

Comment

In Valdez the local paper runs warnings for people with small dogs to keep them on a leash.

Comment

In the Alps and Andes, golden eagles and another kind I can't think of, an even bigger species of eagle, will take the young of mountain goats or bighorn sheep or whatever deer-size animals they have there. I bet more than one bald eagle here in the States has caught a whitetail fawn.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
              In the Alps and Andes, golden eagles and another kind I can't think of, an even bigger species of eagle, will take the young of mountain goats or bighorn sheep or whatever deer-size animals they have there. I bet more than one bald eagle here in the States has caught a whitetail fawn.
              I believe that would be an "ern".*
              Edit:
              Nope, that isn't it.
              A search shows the largest birds of prey of the Americas to be the Andean and California condors. I always thought they were just scavengers? I've never seen an American Turkey Vulture "hunt" anything....except another road kill.
              I dunno MattM37. We've got some red tail hawks around here that look big enough to haul a lamb off!
              BTW, a new born lamb/kid is a pretty small creature.

* - "ern" is an old crossword answer and is, apparently, an Olde World term for "eagle".
              Last edited by FirstBubba; 06-23-2022, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I believe that would be an "ern".*
                Edit:
                Nope, that isn't it.
                A search shows the largest birds of prey of the Americas to be the Andean and California condors. I always thought they were just scavengers? I've never seen an American Turkey Vulture "hunt" anything....except another road kill.
                I dunno MattM37. We've got some red tail hawks around here that look big enough to haul a lamb off!
                BTW, a new born lamb/kid is a pretty small creature.

* - "ern" is an old crossword answer and is, apparently, an Olde World term for "eagle".
                I just did a little searching myself and it looks like there are all kinds of eagles I didn't know about. Golden eagles are listed 5th largest, according to World Atlas, which may or not be a source to rely on.

I've heard and read that the goshawk is the fiercest of all hawks (in the North, anyway), and the most protective of their nests. I once had one hovering and shrieking over me and I'd say that title is probably deserved. I mentioned a while back that we have a nesting pair in our woods somewhere but I never did find that nest.

As for scavengers: I think most of them will go full predator if the opportunity is there. I once watched a crow dive-bombing a rabbit's nest and eating the babies. The mama kept rushing back and driving the crow up into the branches above (nest was down in a briar/sapling thicket), but the crow would just dive back down, drive her off again, and gobble another baby. Pretty gruesome. Definitely not something Walt Disney ever put in a movie.

Comment

AEF, American Eagle Foundation is Hq. at Dolly Partons. She is a big supporter of the Eagle program. Dolly Wood is where retired Challenger lives as well as many others that can not be released. AEF has cameras on several nests.
                  https://www.bing.com/search?q=americ...995BC4B57A2678

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad