X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Danbo View Post

Yesterday I went out of Williams beach on south shore. We caught a few big perch and couple undersized Walleye.
    We didn't move around much yesterday.

I usually go out of Cleveland either at the dock or down the rd to Godfrey on the north shore.
    I also go to Chapman park on the south shore near town of Sullivan.
    We used to go a little West of Lewis Pt. for bass and around the second buoy west from Sylvan Beach for deep water walleye - I think it gets down to 40+ feet. For shallow water walleye in 20' of water off Sylvan Beach among the weeds use 3/4oz yellow feather jig with a worm on a trailer treble hook about 2" back, jig 1 to 2' off bottom. You can get close to the bed about 3/4 way out on the Sylvan Beach pier. On the Canal side of the pier you can get occasional Northern on a red/white dare devil or a Rapala. Good night fishing there with a Coleman lantern to if you can stand the bugs.
    We could not get into Cleveland, too shallow with shoals all the way out to the channel.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 01-30-2022, 10:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Danbo
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Where on the lake do you set up ? By Brewerton, Cleveland ?
    Yesterday I went out of Williams beach on south shore. We caught a few big perch and couple undersized Walleye.
    We didn't move around much yesterday.

I usually go out of Cleveland either at the dock or down the rd to Godfrey on the north shore.
    I also go to Chapman park on the south shore near town of Sullivan.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied

So far, is this winter colder, warmer or about the same temps.?
    I don’t know the official stats for the winter so far but past couple weeks have been bitter cold. We’re probably behind on snowfall but that’s fine with me. I’ll take cold with good travel conditions over moderate temps with more snow and ice.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Standard heat rate is $3.14 but we have several price tiers based on usage so it can be more or less depending. Our pre-buy price was about what your at now so those folks who bought in are saving huge this year.
    My provider (I have a choice of 3) doesn't offer a pre-buy option. None of them do.
    We're kinda at the mercy of the market.
    We do have a choice of "monthly" service or "minimum delivery".
    We use so little gas, monthly would be a real pain to a delivery driver.
    AND...."minimum delivery", I can schedule and budget for instead of another monthly bill.

Edit: a "minimum delivery" is 100 gallons and is normally delivered within 48 hours.
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 01-29-2022, 09:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied

Standard heat rate is $3.14 but we have several price tiers based on usage so it can be more or less depending. Our pre-buy price was about what your at now so those folks who bought in are saving huge this year.
    So far, is this winter colder, warmer or about the same temps.?

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied

I went Grouse hunting last week and put up one but never saw it.
    Saw a whole bunch of deer
    I have noticed the deer population explodes after deer season.

My brother is having an overnight stay on the ice on Oneida and I might go in the morning.
    Where on the lake do you set up ? By Brewerton, Cleveland ?

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Curious fitch270, how are LP prices running up there. We're up to 2.40/gal.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Will be working again tomorrow and I’m planning to work for awhile on Sunday as well. Been running flat out for weeks as it is but this cold snap is really putting the pressure on.

On a side note my daughter took the younger dog for a walk on our hill yesterday, she said the brassica plot is absolutely tore up. There’s only 6-8” of snow on the ground but a couple nights near -20* this week must have them on whatever feed they can get to. It’s a big part of why I put the effort into it.
    Curious fitch270, how are LP prices running up there. We're up to 2.40/gal.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Dan, I have a buddy that is the best grouse hunter I have ever seen. He spots them on the ground and hits them when they jump up. One shot, one grouse. Me, 3 or 4 shots, maybe one bird.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Will be working again tomorrow and I’m planning to work for awhile on Sunday as well. Been running flat out for weeks as it is but this cold snap is really putting the pressure on.

On a side note my daughter took the younger dog for a walk on our hill yesterday, she said the brassica plot is absolutely tore up. There’s only 6-8” of snow on the ground but a couple nights near -20* this week must have them on whatever feed they can get to. It’s a big part of why I put the effort into it.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    If I lived in Taxachussits I would have been gone years ago
    It's kind of like New Jersey, though -- all the focus is on urban areas, when there's some seriously wild and beautiful country there. I believe the Tap Tapply and his son William, both FS writers, trout-fished and grouse-hunted in Massachusetts.

I hear you on the taxes, but being a New Yorker, I can't say much.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    If I lived in Taxachussits I would have been gone years ago

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Are you in line for any of the storm coming up the Coast ?

Nothing here except a few more days of single digit nights, then some warming.
    Like Danbo said, it's supposed to stay in New England, maybe just brushing the eastern edge of New York. Those poor suckers in Boston, forecast says up to two feet.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied

I went Grouse hunting last week and put up one but never saw it.
    Saw a whole bunch of deer
    I have noticed the deer population explodes after deer season.

My brother is having an overnight stay on the ice on Oneida and I might go in the morning.
    Yep, I've had a couple of near misses on the road lately -- with one of them, the deer stopped smack in the middle of the road, I was just a few feet away when I came to a stop. Then I had to honk and start inching up on it before it got out of the way.

Enjoy the fishing if you go.

Leave a comment:

• Danbo
    replied
    Are you in line for any of the storm coming up the Coast ?

Nothing here except a few more days of single digit nights, then some warming.
    Last I heard it was going to be east of me.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad