Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storm

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2...-hunters-died/

I remember that story in the news. Didn't they make some serious survival errors ?

Last season I decided not to go. Good thing, 2 storms were barreling across the plains and we wound up with 18" of wet, heavy snow. I have a second story deck and spent the day shoveling. I have a long drive at camp and a small hill so figured I could get in but might have trouble getting out. I have borrowed the neighbors farm tractor in the past but don't like to.
    I am watching this year and it seems we might get some snow but suppose to be nothing serious.

Comment

Interesting video. Thanks for posting. Even since weather forecast can be in error but hopefully never that bad again.

Comment

A very interesting recalling Danbo. My only distant connection was it being the year of my birth. Any members of my family who would have had remembrance of this tragedy, have since passed ! Thanks for posting !

Comment

(1) 1940 armistice day blizzard - Bing images

Comment

In December of 2015, another of those freak storms blew through the midwest.
            A rising country music star, Craig Strickland, and a friend decided to brave the elements, in "bullet proof 20 year-old" fashion, for a duck hunt. Only their dog survived.

You can't fool "Mother Nature".

https://www.thewrap.com/country-sing...massive-storm/

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              I remember that story in the news. Didn't they make some serious survival errors ?

Last season I decided not to go. Good thing, 2 storms were barreling across the plains and we wound up with 18" of wet, heavy snow. I have a second story deck and spent the day shoveling. I have a long drive at camp and a small hill so figured I could get in but might have trouble getting out. I have borrowed the neighbors farm tractor in the past but don't like to.
              I am watching this year and it seems we might get some snow but suppose to be nothing serious.
              No mistakes , it was 50 degrees and the weather service called for a cold front with light flurries. The problem was as the weather go worse the hunting got better .
              They tried to get out but the boat they had couldn't handle the waves.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                In December of 2015, another of those freak storms blew through the midwest.
                A rising country music star, Craig Strickland, and a friend decided to brave the elements, in "bullet proof 20 year-old" fashion, for a duck hunt. Only their dog survived.

You can't fool "Mother Nature".

https://www.thewrap.com/country-sing...massive-storm/
                That's a lot different situation. The 1940 storm had no warning. I'm sure the weather channel had warnings about the 2015 storm.

Comment

https://www.ducks.org/hunting/duck-h...-storm-of-1940

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

That's a lot different situation. The 1940 storm had no warning. I'm sure the weather channel had warnings about the 2015 storm.
                    Oh yes! I remember the storm of 2015. The sad part is, Strickland and his buddy KNEW better.....but went out anyway!
                    I'm 250 miles SSW of Kaw Lake and the weather was screaming here too.

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/All-Hell-Brok.../dp/188237696X

Here is a book about the experiences of those who went through it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad