No announcement yet.

Well, what's in the larder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I talk about all these things and listen and view various news, but in the final analysis I do my own thing.

I don't believe much of what I hear and less of what I read. I do my own due dillegence and suggest everybody do the same.

I have seen a great increase in lies from all sources, But I think Wshington started the culture years ago and now it is throughout society - common place.

i

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

You can get the virus right after shooting it.
      That's a chance I'll take! LOL!

Comment

Think I'll fake illness after I drop one and call the brother-in-law and offer him $10 to gut it and throw it in the truck bed for me.πŸ˜³πŸ€”πŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆ

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
          Think I'll fake illness after I drop one and call the brother-in-law and offer him $10 to gut it and throw it in the truck bed for me.πŸ˜³πŸ€”πŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆ
          About thirty years ago two guys that used to hunt here both shot the same small doe about two hours apart. The first guy caught it straight on nearly taking off one front leg but not getting into the chest cavity. Later on his B-I-L finished her with a shot to the other shoulder. They both had doe tags and were β€œdiscussing” who should tag what was left of it when the second shooter offered my cousin $10 to gut it. I was making the first incision before he could get his knife out.

Comment

Well, I guess nobody but Ernie is shooting much. But we'll surely know what to look out for when we do.

I've always done the glove-sanitizer thing when field-dressing, especially rabbits and birds. Tularemia sounds pretty gruesome, and once in a lifetime was plenty for salmonella. Doing a deer bare-handed doesn't faze me, and you'd need arm-length gloves anyway for real protection. I tried a pair of those once and shucked them about thirty seconds in. Pretty much worthless, those flimsy ones they sell by the sporting goods counter at the big marts.

Edit: I know that some deft individuals can field-dress a deer without going in very deep, but I've never been able to do it. I know what I'm doing but I always come out of it messy. I think I just don't really care at that point and want to get it done, so I can get to the dragging and get that done.
            Last edited by MattM37; 11-04-2021, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
              Simple answer for me:
              As far as Covid goes, I live my life with joy and not restriction among others who do the same.
              When it comes to hunting, I do the same.
              This was my same mindset before it came along.
              The only way to live.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                If you shoot a deer that looks and acts sick and you hit it in the lungs you might spread the virus all throughout the internal parts. By all means, don't kiss it on the nose.
                Not worried. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                  Deer Can Give You Tuberculosis: CDC (webmd.com)

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention people can get a rare type of tuberculosis, called bovine tuberculosis, from deer.

Such was the case of one 77 year-old Michigan hunter, who most likely got sick by inhaling the germ while removing a dead deer's infected organs, CNN reports.

The patient had been hunting in an area where two other hunters were infected more than 15 years ago.

Bovine tuberculosis makes up under 2% of all tuberculosis cases in the U.S. Although mostly eliminated in cattle, it's still found in wild bison, elk and deer, the CDC said.

The infection is usually gotten by eating or drinking unpasteurized dairy products or having direct contact though an open wound while hunting or slaughtering an infected animal, CNN reports.

Symptoms include severe cough, fever, weight loss, chest pain. The treatment is antibiotics, the CDC said.

Although rare, anyone working closely with animals that might carry the germ or eating raw dairy should get screened for TB, CNN said.
                  TB is a lung disease caused be Microbaterium Tuburculosis - transmitted be extended close contact with an infected person. Most sanitoriums in the U.S. closed in the '80's as the U.S. had almost eliminated the disease. A good friend worked at the one in Mt.Morris, N.Y.. Then immigrants brought it back in and it was a more lethal and a antibiotic resistant strain. Once infected a person could live the rest of their life with the incurable disease. Terrible way to live/die.

For animals, Michigan hunters used to put out huge bait piles, like several dump truck looads. Well, the deer were in close contact for long periods they started to get the TB. At that time the regulation changed to allow only a bushel basket size pile. 10 minutes and the food is gone and the deer disperse without passing the TB arouind.

The reason TB is so dangerous is because it is very slow growth. That means the uptake of the antibiotic cocktail is very low. That's right, a cocktail of several antibiotics and they only work at a very low level of success. Can't increase the antibiotics dose any more because they are already close to toxic levels.
                  A bacteria culture takes overnight to grow in a petrie dish. It takes T.B. a week to see any growth.
                  Drug-Resistant TB | TB |CDC
                  Last edited by jhjimbo; 11-04-2021, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The future of outdoor sports.
                    by FirstBubba
                    You have something with hunting being the "same old, same old" pighunter.
                    Same gun, same stand, same goal, alot of the time, same clothing.......
                    Today, 05:26 PM
                  • The future of outdoor sports.
                    by FirstBubba
                    8.3% inflation
                    $4 to $7 a gallon for fuel
                    High cost of ammo
                    High cost of loading components
                    COVID-19 (again!)

How...
                    Today, 01:46 PM
                    by 99explorer
                    Most true sportsmen relish just being in the great outdoors, and unlike our friend PigHunter, don't derive their satisfaction and pleasure from "the...
                    Today, 05:06 PM
                    by PigHunter
                    Bubba, it's not affecting me.

I've got enough hunting ammo and reloading supplies to last three decades, which will be more than I need....
                    Today, 04:56 PM
                  • Reply to Primaries in PA and GA
                    by labrador12
                    I voted for the homeschooling, concealed carry ultra MAGA Kathy Barnette and Doug Mastriano. Both of them were in DC on Jan 6. Time to put the big HURT...
                    Today, 03:41 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X