Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
    Doe antelope and a buck antelope.
    Working on my cow elk tag, but no joy yet.
    Whitetail deer coming up soon as well.
    Ernie, I've never eaten antelope and hear mixed reviews. What's your opinion on how it rates with other wild game?

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
      COVID may be in the larder...

New study suggests SARS-CoV-2 spreading widely within wild deer population | Ars Technica

"That said, deer could provide a substantial reservoir for the virus. The species studied here, the white-tailed deer, has a population estimated at 25 million in North America, and many of those ungulates are found in areas with high human population densities. The two populations also regularly interact thanks to both hunting and traffic accidents.

"A large reservoir like that poses a number of risks if there's a chance of a return spread to humans. Deer are obviously exempted from any of the public health measures we've used to limit the spread of the virus, so COVID is likely to spread unchecked among deer, which could provide a route for the virus to re-enter human populations where infections are rare.

"In addition, the virus could evolve to thrive in its new hosts—with consequences for humans that are difficult to predict. The virus could become more specialized for deer, reducing the risk it poses to humans. Or the virus could evolve in ways that heighten either its spread or the symptoms it causes in human hosts. Finally, either of these changes could alter its immune profile in a way that limits the protection provided by vaccines or prior infection.

No worries on my end. If this year is like the past few, I won't be anywhere near close enough to a deer to get sick.

"Deer are obviously exempted from any of the public health measures we've used to limit the spread of the virus." LOL, you don't say! At least they included the word "obviously."

Comment

From PigHunter: "New study suggests SARS-CoV-2 spreading widely within wild deer population | Ars Technica"

Not enough "human" population in that part of the Hill Country to spread the chinese communist virus. Seems like another scare tactic from some off the wall anti hunting maniacs. Nobody in that part of Texas wearing masks, and asking about a jab might get you either shot, or laughed out of town. Consensus in our hunting group was "Vaccination? HELL NO!"

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

No worries on my end. If this year is like the past few, I won't be anywhere near close enough to a deer to get sick.

"Deer are obviously exempted from any of the public health measures we've used to limit the spread of the virus." LOL, you don't say! At least they included the word "obviously."
          Not hunting this year?

Comment

If you shoot a deer that looks and acts sick and you hit it in the lungs you might spread the virus all throughout the internal parts. By all means, don't kiss it on the nose.

Comment

From MattM37: "Ernie, I've never eaten antelope and hear mixed reviews. What's your opinion on how it rates with other wild game?"

Matt, my main deer hunting, fishing, and elk hunting buddy and I were given some antelope meat by his Uncle, because they didn't know how to cook it. As it was ground meat, Mike and I decided to make chili. Turned out some of the best chili I ever ate. I didn't get very much sage taste out of that batch, but have it from friends who regularly kill speed goats that they can be "sagey" at certain times of the year.
              Given the opportunity, I would kill and process one, just to see what the meat was like.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Ernie, I've never eaten antelope and hear mixed reviews. What's your opinion on how it rates with other wild game?
                It is below deer for me and my wife. Meat care is a big deal for antelope.
                I have fellow hunters who pick antelope as their favorite.

Comment

As far as Covid goes, I live my life with joy and not restriction among others who do the same.
                  When it comes to hunting, I do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Not hunting this year?
                    Just making a joke about my venison drought -- not much luck the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                      From PigHunter: "New study suggests SARS-CoV-2 spreading widely within wild deer population | Ars Technica"

Not enough "human" population in that part of the Hill Country to spread the chinese communist virus. Seems like another scare tactic from some off the wall anti hunting maniacs. Nobody in that part of Texas wearing masks, and asking about a jab might get you either shot, or laughed out of town. Consensus in our hunting group was "Vaccination? HELL NO!"
                      If the virus can survive a skillet of hot grease or a 300° oven, guess I'll just get sick!

Is the COVID-19 virus "thermophilic"?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

If the virus can survive a skillet of hot grease or a 300° oven, guess I'll just get sick!

Is the COVID-19 virus "thermophilic"?
                        You can get the virus right after shooting it.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

You can get the virus right after shooting it.
                          Are you going hunting this year?
                          Are you worried about it?

Comment

I have heard of Apes in GA and Leopards in CA having the virus but none reported around here in Ohio or NY where I go. Have not heard of any CWD either.

Comment

Simple answer for me:
                              As far as Covid goes, I live my life with joy and not restriction among others who do the same.
                              When it comes to hunting, I do the same.
                              This was my same mindset before it came along.

Comment

I'm inclined to agree that it's anti-hunting bunk. The pandemic is fitting nicely into all kinds of agendas, so why not the one against our most traditional pastime?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The future of outdoor sports.
                                  by 99explorer
                                  Most true sportsmen relish just being in the great outdoors, and unlike our friend PigHunter, don't derive their satisfaction and pleasure from "the...
                                  Today, 05:06 PM
                                • The future of outdoor sports.
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  8.3% inflation
                                  $4 to $7 a gallon for fuel
                                  High cost of ammo
                                  High cost of loading components
                                  COVID-19 (again!)

How...
                                  Today, 01:46 PM
                                • Reply to The future of outdoor sports.
                                  by PigHunter
                                  Bubba, it's not affecting me.

I've got enough hunting ammo and reloading supplies to last three decades, which will be more than I need....
                                  Today, 04:56 PM
                                • Reply to Primaries in PA and GA
                                  by labrador12
                                  I voted for the homeschooling, concealed carry ultra MAGA Kathy Barnette and Doug Mastriano. Both of them were in DC on Jan 6. Time to put the big HURT...
                                  Today, 03:41 PM
                                • Primaries in PA and GA
                                  by rock rat
                                  They are soon, next week and the week after I'm thinking. The two Trump candidates aren't very Trumpy in my view. Dr Oz would be a better fit with the...
                                  05-12-2022, 08:08 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X