Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, what's in the larder?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Well, what's in the larder?

    Anyone got a deer yet? Fall turkey? Any boars, birds, bunnies, bushytails?

  • #2
    Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    Anyone got a deer yet? Fall turkey? Any boars, birds, bunnies, bushytails?
    I killed a bunch of geese during September early season. I've only bow hunted, passed on a few doe. Last year this time I saw 7 different bucks , none this year.

    Their on camera at midnight 🤬

    Comment


    • #3
      I’ve seen two different 8 pts. on the hill and we‘ve been seeing a number of small bucks quite regularly but so far the only shot opportunity has been the coyote the Kid stuck. After a few grouse hunts that were totally void of birds I kinda gave up. Woodcock is open until the 14’th so I’m hoping to get back out with the dog at some point but have a funeral this Saturday so won’t be much chance of hunting. Ill probably end up missing any flight birds that are coming through now. I took ten days off in October and hardly hunted any of them. On the plus side I got a ton of things done around the house that I feel pretty good about so it wasn’t a waste.

      Comment


      • #4
        Nada, nothing, nil, zip, zero, zilch!
        Just drove through 568 miles of OK and TX.
        Only thing we saw was roadkill.

        I did shoot "AT" a feral hog with my EDC. 🤷‍♂️
        That's it!
        End of report!

        I DO have a chance at a fall turkey.
        We'll see how that works out!
        I'm oiling up "Blondie" fitch270! 😃

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          I’ve seen two different 8 pts. on the hill and we‘ve been seeing a number of small bucks quite regularly but so far the only shot opportunity has been the coyote the Kid stuck. After a few grouse hunts that were totally void of birds I kinda gave up. Woodcock is open until the 14’th so I’m hoping to get back out with the dog at some point but have a funeral this Saturday so won’t be much chance of hunting. Ill probably end up missing any flight birds that are coming through now. I took ten days off in October and hardly hunted any of them. On the plus side I got a ton of things done around the house that I feel pretty good about so it wasn’t a waste.
          BTW, on the news today (MSNBC) oil executives are concerned about propane supplies for the U.S. and EU this winter, especially if there is a severe cold. Oil supplies are down 23% from where they should be at this time.
          Last edited by jhjimbo; 11-02-2021, 10:59 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have a sore shoulder so skipped archery and for this coming gun season I don't think it will be healed enough to use my rifle so I may have to hunt with my .44mag Model 29. My shoulder has some muscle/tendon involvement plus some arthritis.

            Comment


            • #7
              About 220 lbs of moose meat is in my freezer right now. 😁 Will be off back to Maine next week for deer. Then shotgun/muzzleloader season here in CT late this month and December. I'm not going to be greedy though!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Moose1980 View Post
                About 220 lbs of moose meat is in my freezer right now. 😁 Will be off back to Maine next week for deer. Then shotgun/muzzleloader season here in CT late this month and December. I'm not going to be greedy though!
                Nice. Good luck in Maine.

                Comment


                • #9
                  80+ squirrels
                  30+ doves
                  3- teal (blue wing)
                  1- hen turkey that MIGHT of been over 10lbs
                  numerous crows
                  4- packs of crappie, +\- 1lb ea(the pkgs not the individual fish)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dewman View Post
                    80+ squirrels
                    30+ doves
                    3- teal (blue wing)
                    1- hen turkey that MIGHT of been over 10lbs
                    numerous crows
                    4- packs of crappie, +\- 1lb ea(the pkgs not the individual fish)
                    What kind of squirrels do you have ?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

                      What kind of squirrels do you have ?
                      The ones I've taken are 90% greys, 10% fox. The ones around here are overall noticeably smaller than up north.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Seven deer, all does, but good sized for Texas hill country. (80-90 lb. range)
                        The Bookkeeper and I were just about done when the processing was finished!
                        Two hogs, one small, skinned out whole, one large, just backstrapped him for the loins.
                        Looking forward to a November or early December trip to Oklahoma for fall fishing and possibly a few birds and squirrels.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                          Seven deer, all does, but good sized for Texas hill country. (80-90 lb. range)
                          The Bookkeeper and I were just about done when the processing was finished!
                          Two hogs, one small, skinned out whole, one large, just backstrapped him for the loins.
                          Looking forward to a November or early December trip to Oklahoma for fall fishing and possibly a few birds and squirrels.
                          When I first moved to Ohio in the '70's, there was a article in the paper where a doe was hit by a car North of Columbus that weighed 400lbs.
                          Pic is nice fat Ohio deer on my trail camera. Click image for larger version

Name:	cadiznight.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	784485

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You gotta understand about "Hill Country" deer.
                            First off, cold survival requires body mass. The Hill Country doesn't get below zero temps but maybe once every few decades.
                            The mast crop in the Hill Country may be "some" acorns (post and live oak) but consists mostly of cedar, youpon and mesquite. So food sources are quite different.

                            At one time, back in the 60's and early 70's, the Hill Country had an 3cplosion of deer until a conservation officer invited a friend of mine to bring his baseball team and their bats to a specific location.
                            Deer had massed together until the baseball team spent a couple of hours killing deer.
                            There was a definite "browse line" any direction you looked.
                            Texas Parks & Wildlife finally took over from the old Texas Game & Fish Commission and began implementing regulations to curb and control deer populations.
                            Forty something years ago and they are still running cull hunts to control populations there.
                            No, the deer aren't that large, but they sure are tasty! LOL!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Doe antelope and a buck antelope.
                              Working on my cow elk tag, but no joy yet.
                              Whitetail deer coming up soon as well.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                              Right Rail 1

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Right Rail 3

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X