Hunting Camp Firearms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting Camp Firearms

On one deer/bear trip in the Adirondacks our Camp group would be carrying - Winchester 94 in .32spl, 12ga, Mi garand and he packed a .44mag - he could hardly climb a hill, 2X 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag (me) We were hunting Raquette Lake by boat's and down the Clarion River off the Lake. Camp was a 4 season, 4 bedroom, log home right on the Lake - really ruffing it, spent a week there.
    (1) Clarion River /raquette lake - Bing images

I have kayaked and canoed both the Clarion and Raquette River. The Raquette has some class 4 in the spring. I go on flat water.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-21-2021, 04:25 PM.

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    On one deer/bear trip in the Adirondacks our Camp group would be carrying - Winchester 94 in .32spl, 12ga, Mi garand and he packed a .44mag - he could hardly climb a hill, 2X 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag (me) We were hunting Raquette Lake by boat's and down the Clarion River off the Lake. Camp was a 4 season, 4 bedroom, log home right on the Lake - really ruffing it, spent a week there.
    (1) Clarion River /raquette lake - Bing images

I have kayaked and canoed both the Clarion and Raquette River. The Raquette has some class 4 in the spring. I go on flat water.
    Cool , did you get a buck? When was the last time you hunted the Adirondacks?

Comment

I know I've mentioned this here before, but one of the finest meals I've ever had was after a rainy, cold day of canoeing on Racquette. As we paddled in, totally bushed, we noticed that somebody in one of the camps was frying fish and baking bread. The smell almost drove us mad. We'd planned on just grabbing a quick McDonald's supper when we went back down through Old Forge, but scrapped that idea in a hurry. Instead, when we got into town, we found a place that served fried haddock and NE clam chowder. It was toasty warm in there, lots of friendly folk at the tables around us, and one heck of a meal. If I had to make a list of the Top Ten days of my life, that might be on it. If we'd actually caught any fish that day, and not dumped one of the canoes, it definitely would be.

Comment

I get my Lifetime License and when we get a few of the old group together I go.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad