Moose Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moose Hunt

Success! My father and mine's moose hunt was last week in Maine. I had gone up to the family cabin in August and September to scout and found some likely spots with good sign. I had narrowed it down to 2 logging roads to start out at. On Sunday before the season started on Monday my dad and I went for a final look. The road we settled on to start the season had a couple of moose rubs that I found in September, but now had lots of fresh clippings on the alders with lots of fresh droppings.
    The weather for the week was unseasonably warm but Monday started out ~45 degrees. We set up on the edge of an old logging cut and had a calling session lasting about 3 hours with no sign. Because it was near the end of the rut I only used a cow mating call, hitting it about every 15 minutes. We broke for lunch and came back in the afternoon but the temp had risen to ~70 degrees and the bugs were bad so we only toughed it out for a couple hours. We went back on Tuesday but unfortunately other hunters beat us to the spot. The land is all private timber lands but with open access. There were quite a few moose hunters around. So we went to another road and set up in another cut, calling for another 3 hours with no results. Tuesday afternoon was even hotter topping out around 75 degrees, so we took an afternoon off to do camp chores.
    On Wednesday we went back to the original spot and started calling around 6:30 with a temp at 48 degrees. After about an hour I heard a twig snap off to my left. I decided to hit the "hyper estrous" call and waited and listened. After about 10-15 minutes I caught some movement to my right. It was a bull working his way around us but heading off into the woods. Unfortunately for my dad, we were sitting about 15 feet apart but facing different directions, with him having no view of the moose. Having previously discussed this situation (shoot if you see a legal bull), and with a small window, I stood up and shot. At the shot, the bull moved off out of sight but within a few seconds I heard it crash to the ground. We found him quickly. The .338 win mag 250gr core-lokt entered the right shoulder and passed through behind the off shoulder lodging in the hide and was recovered. He's not a giant, probably around 2.5-3.5 years old and about 800 lbs.
    With the temp rising we got to work quickly, getting the hind and front quarter off one side before our helped arrived. Four finished quartering the moose, and removed the back straps, tenderloins and neck meat. It took about 2 hours total to get the meat out. All the meat weighed in at 340lbs at the butchers, including legs bones. We are expecting about 275 pounds of steaks, roasts and burgers! We started working on the moose at 8:00 and had it registered and to the butchers by 1:30 on a day that topped out at 80 degrees!
    Despite not doing the shooting my father was ecstatic. We had a blast hunting together. Even with the crappy warm weather it was a great week. We finished the week catching some smallmouth and hunting grouse, though the latter were hard to find this year. Because it was my father's permit, he can't apply again for 3 years. I'll keep applying with him as my sub-permittee. I hope to draw one more tag and let him do the shooting next time! 😁

Congratulations on getting a moose.

Comment

Fantastic! I envy everyone still able to hunt with his dad, guarantee getting to hunt with his son was more than rewarding enough for him as well. Special, special times. And success with a moose! I would be very satisfied with that bull. 275lbs. of meat says trophy in my book. Rem core-lokt, still the "deadliest mushroom in the woods" Very nicely done.👍👍

Comment

That's awesome moose1980!
        Yeah, I'd like to hunt with my dad and grandpa again.
        What a blast!
        Congratulations!
        That ought to fill up several pages in your hunting journal! 😉!

Comment

Have not heard from Pray-Hunt-Fish in a long time.

Comment

Congratulations! My only knowledge of moose-hunting is what I see on Rinella's "Meateater" show and some of the old episodes of "North Woods Law." If I had the means for a "bucket list" style hunt right now, it would very likely be a North Country moose hunt -- I'm really kind of fascinated by them. I've taken several touristy, non-hunting trips through Maine and Vermont but still haven't seen a moose -- I doubt I'll ever hunt them, but I'm dying to at least see one someday. I did find some tracks in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont one time. Anyway, sounds like a great time with your Pop and I hope you guys enjoy some great moose-meat feasts together.

Comment

My brother- in - law has kilt a couple in Alaska. Haven't heard about his latest trip last month. I can tell you, moose steaks are excellent. Cold leftovers between buttered bread are still great.

Comment

franchi20

"... Cold leftovers between buttered bread are still great. ..."

....and it don't necessarily have to be moose! LOL!

Comment

Great hunt!

I almost collected a big bull with Silverado last week coming down a logging road. He was not bothered by the truck and just sauntered off.

Comment

Congratulations on your successful moose hunt !

Comment

My B-I-L was just in the Adirondacks leaf peeping, and went to some locations where Moose are sighted but they were not out that day. They are doing good but vehicle accidents take a toll. In the 19th Century there were more Moose in the Adirondacks than Whitetail. I used to hunt in a place called Moose River Plains.

Comment

"... I almost collected a big bull with Silverado last week ..."

Bullet weight?
                        Powder charge?

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words!

MattM37, I saw my first moose when I was 8 and have been hooked ever since. One tip I can offer for moose peeping is to find some likely moose habitat, then hit it early on a cool late summer morning around late August early September. I've seen the most moose leaving the cabin around 5:00-5:30am when you get those nice 40-50 degree mornings as fall gets closer. I think the combination of hormones ramping up and the smell of fall really get the moose moving.

Comment

Appreciate the tip, Moose.

Comment

Congratulations Moose and thank you for posting your great story. Sounds like an excellent hunt for both you and your dad. Enjoy those steaks. It is SO nice to hear a great story like yours.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad