X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy hunting and fishing day

https://www.outdoornews.com/2021/09/...g-fishing-day/

Do you plan on getting out ?

Go out and do some small game hunting or fish even if you go for bluegills. Share a picture.

This is what this site is about. It's fall forget about politics for awhile.

Taking my daughter out for youth pheasant weekend shortly. Probably hang another ladder stand this afternoon as well.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
      I'm going to the hunting lease to do maintenance on the two feeders assigned to me. New batteries, set up spin times, clear any brush around, etc. We're three weeks from archery season.

I'm carrying a single shot 12 gauge with #6's for a little squirrel hunting while there.
      Take a .22 and don't spoil so much meat, or break a tooth.

Comment

I've been hunting hard the last 2 days!
        We've been set upon by a recalcitrant armadillo! 😖😡

Comment

Did a couple hours at the WMA nearby, had just two flushes. The first was 20’ up a tree we walked under so the dog never had a chance to point it. The second came up out of 4’ tall golden rod, the beeper collar crapped out and we couldn’t see the dog so no idea if she was on it or not. My daughter did get to pull the trigger but I think she was way behind. Watched the bird fly about 75 yards and come down in some thick brush on the other side of the trail. We worked our way over and had a reflush but no shot opportunity.

Dog was soaked and tired out from the heavy vegetation, as was the girl. Dad too, lol. There’s another area nearby but my daughter was good for the day. Based on last year that spot is probably grown over her head in most places, the golden rod there was ridiculous last year and it’s been even wetter this summer.

Having some lunch then sighting in a couple rifles and hanging another stand or two this afternoon.

Pic my daughter took.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C376AADC-A806-43F7-A7C3-FB877BE1F051.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	5.87 MB
ID:	781393

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            Did a couple hours at the WMA nearby, had just two flushes. The first was 20’ up a tree we walked under so the dog never had a chance to point it. The second came up out of 4’ tall golden rod, the beeper collar crapped out and we couldn’t see the dog so no idea if she was on it or not. My daughter did get to pull the trigger but I think she was way behind. Watched the bird fly about 75 yards and come down in some thick brush on the other side of the trail. We worked our way over and had a reflush but no shot opportunity.

Dog was soaked and tired out from the heavy vegetation, as was the girl. Dad too, lol. There’s another area nearby but my daughter was good for the day. Based on last year that spot is probably grown over her head in most places, the golden rod there was ridiculous last year and it’s been even wetter this summer.

Having some lunch then sighting in a couple rifles and hanging another stand or two this afternoon.

Pic my daughter took.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C376AADC-A806-43F7-A7C3-FB877BE1F051.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	5.87 MB
ID:	781393
            Great photo!

Comment

I gotta bunch of fish pics but I don’t really post to much here since I don’t get to many comments on them maybe a couple. I guess if I’d share politics pics would be better. But that’s not for me.

Those big lake run trout are starting stacking up. Seems like the musky are starting to hit. Will be making some good fishing trips coming up here. Finally got cooler in temps so the water should be changing. Fish are starting to swim around.

Comment

I don't eat them.
                Then why shoot them ?

Comment

PH, have you got a 30-06 ? Watch this one at 1.7 miles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viUkA1FyjGM

Comment

What do my motivations matter? Have you ever asked that of someone shooting prairie dogs?

1) Shooting squirrels is fun
                    2) Getting squirrels out of a deer hunting area means more acorns for the deer
                    3) Removing squirrels means less nuisance noise while hunting deer.
                    4) I don't want to go to the trouble of cleaning and cooking them
                    5) PigHuntress would probably not eat any but more importantly she would probably not cook them for me
                    6) Leaving the little squirrel bodies in the woods provides food for other wildlife
                    7) Shooting squirrels is fun
                    I cut my teeth squirrel hunting with my grandpa.
                    My grandma must have cooked a hunnerd gallons of squirrel and dumplings and several bushels of fried squirrel.
                    I can't imagine killing them and not dressing them out to eat! 🙂
                    I haven't killed and eaten any squirrels in over 10 years.
                    They ARE rodents. They DO carry diseases. Squirrels carry the fleas that transmit "bubonic plague".
                    The last outbreak in the US, I think, was in New Mexico and was traced back to a flea infested squirrel of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I cut my teeth squirrel hunting with my grandpa.
                      My grandma must have cooked a hunnerd gallons of squirrel and dumplings and several bushels of fried squirrel.
                      I can't imagine killing them and not dressing them out to eat! 🙂
                      I haven't killed and eaten any squirrels in over 10 years.
                      They ARE rodents. They DO carry diseases. Squirrels carry the fleas that transmit "bubonic plague".
                      The last outbreak in the US, I think, was in New Mexico and was traced back to a flea infested squirrel of some sort.
                      Traced back to a rat or mouse, I can't remember.

Comment

I think a lot of animals carry something pathogenic for humans. This go around Tigers in SF has ad covid and Apes in Atlanta ?, have the votus.

I only hunted Gray's and my Mother would dress them and make some excellent stew. I had a spot I could get my limit in about an hour. Before I went overseas I put about 100 in the freezer for Her.

BTW, the biggest control of squirrel population are automobiles and other traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
                          I gotta bunch of fish pics but I don’t really post to much here since I don’t get to many comments on them maybe a couple. I guess if I’d share politics pics would be better. But that’s not for me.

Those big lake run trout are starting stacking up. Seems like the musky are starting to hit. Will be making some good fishing trips coming up here. Finally got cooler in temps so the water should be changing. Fish are starting to swim around.
                          Share the pics and stories.

Comment

This morning I went out on a friend's bass boat. It was a tough bite , we quit about 10 am.

Shot my bow a few times.

Went Apple picking with the family and then after dinner we went walleye fishing on Oneida. I managed two small walleyes.
                            The girls caught nothing , but are learning how to fish with stick baits.

I also entered a gun raffle for a Remington 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor.
                            If I win do I need to paint my nails and dye my hair pink?😁😁
                            Last edited by Danbo; 09-26-2021, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post
                              This morning I went out on a friend's bass boat. It was a tough bite , we quit about 10 am.

Shot my bow a few times.

Went Apple picking with the family and then after dinner we went walleye fishing on Oneida. I managed two small walleyes.
                              The girls caught nothing , but are learning how to fish with stick baits.

I also entered a gun raffle for a Remington 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor.
                              If I win do I need to paint my nails and dye my hair pink?😁😁
                              Yes, and a few hormones ("her"mones?) and you can grow your own boobies! 😳!
                              No more asking permission, sneaking feels or slapped hands/cheeks! 😃

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad