30-06 ammunition for moose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30-06 ammunition for moose

Well at least I came up with something to ask. Does anyone have any experience with Barnes bullets? Like most people I'm having trouble finding ammunition for my father's up coming moose hunt. He normally shoots 165 grain bullets in his .30-06 for deer but I'd like to up the weight to 180 grains for the moose. It seems Barnes 180 grain TTSX is all that's available on Midway worth buying for big game. I have no experience with them. Also, am I right in thinking 165 grains is too light? I know there are 220 grain factory loads for .30-06 but everything I've read is the 180 grain loading in ballisticly superior do to the better combination and velocity and weight. Any suggestions?

I think the 165's would work o.k. but as for experience I have Colorado relatives who use the Barnes 180 ttsx for elk and are very satisfied. It's their go to load.

Comment

Well sir, I'm no moose hunter, but I'd think that the 180 grain would more than suffice.
      Again, even more important than bullet is "bullet placement".
      Unfortunately, game animals haven't read the manual on "Presenting the Perfect Shot 101"! LOL!
      I've not heard anything bad about Barnes bullets. I believe the Barnes TTSX 180 would be a good bet.

Good luck.
      Good hunting.

Comment

Thanks guys. I am his sub-permittee and will be backing him up with my .338 win mag shooting 250 grain core-lokts. He has first crack at it though and I told him I'd only shoot if it's making a run for it. This will be my 3rd moose hunt, 2nd one as a shooter. PH, my uncle got his cow shooting a 150 grain .308 and she just dropped in her tracks. I took my cow 11 years ago shooting my .338 and she wen down after 20 yards. As you can tell by my username, moose is my favorite big game animal ever since I saw my first one when I was 8. My dad is 71 and this will be his first non-deer big game hunt so I'm hoping to make it special for him.

Comment

I worked with a guy in Rochester,NY that every year would tow a closed trailer to Ontario. Canada and on a self guided hunt with his .270 would get a Moose every time he went. Butchered and iced down for the return trip. He always remarked IF you shoot a Moose try to make it so it does not fall in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose1980 View Post
            Does anyone have any experience with Barnes bullets? I'd like to up the weight to 180 grains for the moose. It seems Barnes 180 grain TTSX is all that's available on Midway worth buying for big game.
            180 grain TTSX is all I've been using for years on elk, and I pretty much shoot one or two a year. I like the way they immediately double in size, and don't lose any weight all the way through. So it's a .6 inch diameter hole and there's an exit. 165 might be faster but I'm never further than 200 yards.

One quartering toward shot entered right up next to the front leg, traveled the length of the cow shattering that big rear leg bone into splinters, and lodged in the ham where I retrieved it and weighted it at 179 grains. 30-06

Comment

I had an interesting discussion many years ago with Gordon Eastman who spent most of his professional life filming Alaskan and Canadian wildlife and hunting photography for Walt Disney. He had many years worth of out-takes (mainly hunting scenes that could never be shown on TV) that he shared over a couple of hours; much of it being moose and bear hunting shots. I witnessed many trophy bulls being shot as he told the story for each. Most often 30-06s were filmed because that is what most people used for moose in Canada at the time.

In most cases, the moose did not show any sign of being hit but turned and walked away to drop dead in 50 yards or so. He said that the bullet size did not appear to make much difference on a giant bull as long as it was a premium hunting bullet and the hit was in the vitals.

I don't hunt moose myself but would be happy to use a round nosed premium hunting bullet from 180g to a 200g. They can be big and you want maximum penetration and minimum bullet deflection from alder, willows, branches and rushes around them. Pointed bullets deflect real quickly with the slightest interference. Although you strive for clean air shots, it's sometimes difficult to even see the small saplings and scrub brush between you and the moose. The stubby, flat based bullets are by far the most stable bullets you can use in such rough conditions.
              Last edited by DakotaMan; 08-06-2021, 02:29 PM.

Comment

DEP once commented to me that the 130gr TTSX out of a .270 would be a deadly load for elk so I can’t see why a 180gr .30cal wouldn’t work for moose.

Good luck, may your trip be all you hope for.

Comment

I’ve switched to Barnes ttx since it’s what my rifle likes. I’ve only shot two deer with it so far. And I will agree with everything everyone has said. The last deer I shot with was about 50 yards away. Both should joints completely destroyed and complete pass thru. It was 100 grains Barnes ttx Barnes vor-tx ammo in 25-06.

While I’m not a moose hunter. The 06 is hard to beat. And Barnes bullets are top notch. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Pictures are a nice touch.

Comment

Quick story.
                    My boss bought a Win M54 in .257 Rbts to go on a moose hunting trip to Canada.
                    They packed in and hunted hard for 4 days.
                    No moose.
                    Packing out, the guide stopped the pack train and pointed out a small, but legal bull and asked if the boss wanted to shoot him.
                    "My rifles packed!" the boss said.
                    "Use mine." the guide said.
                    The moose dropped at the shot.
                    "Nice rifle.", the boss said. "What is it?"
                    The guide replied, "It's a .257 Rbts."

Comment

Originally posted by Moose1980 View Post
                      Well at least I came up with something to ask. Does anyone have any experience with Barnes bullets? Like most people I'm having trouble finding ammunition for my father's up coming moose hunt. He normally shoots 165 grain bullets in his .30-06 for deer but I'd like to up the weight to 180 grains for the moose. It seems Barnes 180 grain TTSX is all that's available on Midway worth buying for big game. I have no experience with them. Also, am I right in thinking 165 grains is too light? I know there are 220 grain factory loads for .30-06 but everything I've read is the 180 grain loading in ballisticly superior do to the better combination and velocity and weight. Any suggestions?
                      That will work just fine.

Comment

My primary bullet is the Nosler Partition or Remington Core-Lokt (proven in use for 75 years) I also have some Trophy Bonded for the magnum velocities. Just don't use a varmit bullet or a full metal round for big game.

I also have bullets from Barnes, Hornady, Speer, Sierra and Herters just to be able to make comparisons.

Comment

I’ve used the .30 cal 168 gr TTSX with one shot success on several bull elk and 150 gr TTSX in 7mm magnum with similar results on elk and large deer. The 165 to 180 gr TTSX will do fine. Just keep your ranges inside the minimum expansion velocity for the bullet used.
                          Happy Trails

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• For Sale (Used) DJ Equipment Pioneer CDJ-3000 Professional DJ multi player $500
                            by mnsolmen
                            Selling (Used. Second Hand) DJ Equipment Pioneer

Equipment is 100% fully functional Original. An Excellent Condition 85%

No...
                            Today, 08:57 PM
                          • Reply to Just Right
                            by 99explorer
                            Because guns never wear out, the manufacturers need a reason for customers to buy new guns, and new cartridges serve that need.
                            Sometimes it works,...
                            Today, 08:51 PM
                          • Just Right
                            by jhjimbo
                            Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years...
                            Yesterday, 04:59 PM
                          • Reply to TGIF; Armageddon
                            by FirstBubba
                            The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Lyrics

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                            Of the big lake they called Gitche...
                            Today, 08:07 PM
                          • TGIF; Armageddon
                            by fitch270
                            Not sure how this week will play out, the idea just came to mind.

Nickelback

“If Today Was Your Last Day”

Today, 07:11 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X