X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Does the state of Oklahoma have some kind of anti-hunting agenda? Those tag fees are surprising.
    MattM37, I live within 11 miles of the Red River. One place I hunt, I'm within 50 yards of Red River and can see into Texas.

Texas deer season opens Nov 1 and runs through about Jan 15.
    Oklahoma has a 9 day (Sat through the following Sunday) Primitive Arms (muzzle loader) season.
    Deer - Regular Gun opens the Saturday before Thanksgiving and closes the first Sunday in December. Two weeks! (16 days)
    Oklahoma also has a one week (9 day) "Bonus Antlerless" season between Christmas and New Years.

If you're an Oklahoma hunter and not an archery hunter, trigger time is short. Holding out for a "bigger buck" may mean no meat in the freezer.

Oklahoma has gazoodles of deer!
    Why the hell can't WE have a 2 month season too?

I probably need to quit complaining. When we moved up here in 2002, season was only 9 days! (one week!)

Personally, I think that because we only have a short season, it encourages people who may not have time to get out to poach.
    If you can't find a couple of days or a weekend or two in a two month season, you don't need to be hunting anyway!

P.S. - Texas and Oklahoma have similar "Archery" seasons. Oct 1 through about mid Jan.
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 08-05-2021, 09:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

What do you mean by a back-tag credit card?
    Lifetime NY license is a credit card type and size license. Only tags are paper.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I buy most online. The amount of buying has diminished though since I have a lifetime license in Georgia where I do most of my hunting and fishing.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    Last hunting license I bought was $56.
    You buy the license then you have to buy a $20 deer tag. To fully tag out, seven deer, it costs $140 for tags. That's $196 for all deer tags. Then there is the turkey tags. Three annually, so figure another $30.
    So, for a full year, tags and license will cost a resident hunter $226!
    That doesn't include access fees to some of Oklahoma's management areas.
    Oh yeah, Fed Duck stamp.

In Texas, you purchase a "Combination Hunting and Fishing" license. I think it's like, $75 now.
    That comes with all appropriate annual tags for whitetail, mule deer and turkeys.
    There is an archery stamp and some salt water fishing stamps or tags, but for the single sum, you get all the tags you're allowed in a year.
    Does the state of Oklahoma have some kind of anti-hunting agenda? Those tag fees are surprising.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    I buy online and then print for signing. No tag lottery here. I don't hunt waterfowl so no federal stamp and I don't fish saltwater. Total $86.05 including freshwater fishing and plastic wallet card.

Here's last year's receipt. In three years I'll be 65 and that means free Resident Hunting and Fishing, saving about $50

Click image for larger version  Name:	License Cost.JPG Views:	0 Size:	72.1 KB ID:	777011
    Last edited by PigHunter; 08-05-2021, 01:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
    Yup, them old stamps have become collectable. Both state and Federal. I get my license at Ace hardware. Give them DL, say what you want, boom, computer spits out and I sign.
    I bought a Redding "Powder & Bullet" scale out of a pawn shop years ago. The wife was looking at the instruction "book" (an 8.5×10 sheet of paper folded twice) when something fell out.
    It was an unsigned 1959 Federal Duck Stamp!
    I paid $20 for the scale.
    The stamp is worth +/-$80! 😳!

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    Looking around in the computer old NY back tags are worth upwards of $20. I think I have every one since I started hunting NY. In the '50's we had to sew them on the back of our coat. Then came plastic holders, now you get a credit card.
    What do you mean by a back-tag credit card?
    Last edited by MattM37; 08-05-2021, 01:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    Lifetime license holder so my tags come in the mail, the Kid and I actually got this years a couple weeks ago. My daughters came last week.

We do still have to put in for DMP’s. I usually go to the town clerk for those. A few years back I was at a big box so figured to save a trip I’d take care of it then. I qualify for a guaranteed landowner tag but the girl screwed up the application and I got turned down. Won’t be doing that again. I could go online but it’s not that big of a deal to stop in town, plus I leave with whatever tags in hand rather than wait and chance the mail.

So Matt, what did you end up drawing? First or second choice or both?
    I had two of our land's WMA last year, went for both again this year, knowing I'd probably just get the one, which is how it went. Past two or three years, I haven't specified any different WMA for second choice -- when I used to, I'd always get the one asked for, but then I'd never actually get over there to hunt. If there's a chance for two permits right here at home, I'll take it. Come to think of it, I never did look yesterday at the chart for the odds on getting the second one. That's okay, one's enough -- especially since I'll probably have a good freezerful from that Opening Day buck. Yep, mmm-hmm.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Originally posted by Danbo View Post
    https://www.pressrepublican.com/spor...7e1d0f3a3.html

Here's an article from 2017. It says they sold about 20 thousand of them that year.
    Thanks for finding that. I do remember there being some disagreement about what it was used for.

For a while they were sending out nice little pins when you got one. I kinda shook my head about that, wondering if maybe it had cost more to make the pins than the stamp sale brought in -- but it was a nice gesture and they were nice pins.
    Last edited by MattM37; 08-05-2021, 01:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    Just put in for my lifetime, doesn't include deer or turkey.Did not get drawn for bear.(1st year Missouri has a season so it would have been cool to just have 1) Usually I buy my tag whenever I think about it when I'm somewhere that sells them. We are an any deer state so no special tag for does, although if you know you'll be shooting only a doe and can let a buck walk you can purchase a doe only tag for $7. Same for units that allow extra does to taken, just buy aover the counter antlerlese tag and go. Tags aren't unit specific.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Looking around in the computer old NY back tags are worth upwards of $20. I think I have every one since I started hunting NY. In the '50's we had to sew them on the back of our coat. Then came plastic holders, now you get a credit card.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Lifetime license holder so my tags come in the mail, the Kid and I actually got this years a couple weeks ago. My daughters came last week.

We do still have to put in for DMP’s. I usually go to the town clerk for those. A few years back I was at a big box so figured to save a trip I’d take care of it then. I qualify for a guaranteed landowner tag but the girl screwed up the application and I got turned down. Won’t be doing that again. I could go online but it’s not that big of a deal to stop in town, plus I leave with whatever tags in hand rather than wait and chance the mail.

So Matt, what did you end up drawing? First or second choice or both?

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Last hunting license I bought was $56.
    You buy the license then you have to buy a $20 deer tag. To fully tag out, seven deer, it costs $140 for tags. That's $196 for all deer tags. Then there is the turkey tags. Three annually, so figure another $30.
    So, for a full year, tags and license will cost a resident hunter $226!
    That doesn't include access fees to some of Oklahoma's management areas.
    Oh yeah, Fed Duck stamp.

In Texas, you purchase a "Combination Hunting and Fishing" license. I think it's like, $75 now.
    That comes with all appropriate annual tags for whitetail, mule deer and turkeys.
    There is an archery stamp and some salt water fishing stamps or tags, but for the single sum, you get all the tags you're allowed in a year.

Leave a comment:

• Danbo
    replied
    https://www.pressrepublican.com/spor...7e1d0f3a3.html

Here's an article from 2017. It says they sold about 20 thousand of them that year.

Leave a comment:

• Danbo
    replied
    https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/47452.html

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad