License Sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License Sales

How do you get your license every year: Sporting goods store, big-box store, online, DEC / DNR office? What are the costs of the licenses-tags-stamps you typically get?

I had the pleasure today of being a young Walmart clerk's first license sale. Nice young lady. She was so nervous. When I went up to the counter and asked for hunting and fishing licenses, she turned beet-red. "I do know how to do it, I just haven't actually done one yet!" she said. But she got right to it. She didn't know that DMPs are also called "doe permits," and whoever trained her hadn't told her about our state's $5.00 voluntary Habitat Stamp, but she did fine. She was worried, as she looked over all the tags coming out of the machine, that I hadn't gotten both of the DMPs I'd asked for, but I explained how that works and that quite often the hunter doesn't get a permit for the Wildlife Management Unit requested.

She seemed very pleased that it all came out right and I thanked her very much. Another customer had come along by then, a guy a little older than me, and we told her about the old days of paper licenses and actual sticky stamps and how good the artwork on the stamps was. I still have quite a few of those old licenses. Wish I'd kept them all.

Yup, them old stamps have become collectable. Both state and Federal. I get my license at Ace hardware. Give them DL, say what you want, boom, computer spits out and I sign.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
      How do you get your license every year: Sporting goods store, big-box store, online, DEC / DNR office? What are the costs of the licenses-tags-stamps you typically get?

I had the pleasure today of being a young Walmart clerk's first license sale. Nice young lady. She was so nervous. When I went up to the counter and asked for hunting and fishing licenses, she turned beet-red. "I do know how to do it, I just haven't actually done one yet!" she said. But she got right to it. She didn't know that DMPs are also called "doe permits," and whoever trained her hadn't told her about our state's $5.00 voluntary Habitat Stamp, but she did fine. She was worried, as she looked over all the tags coming out of the machine, that I hadn't gotten both of the DMPs I'd asked for, but I explained how that works and that quite often the hunter doesn't get a permit for the Wildlife Management Unit requested.

She seemed very pleased that it all came out right and I thanked her very much. Another customer had come along by then, a guy a little older than me, and we told her about the old days of paper licenses and actual sticky stamps and how good the artwork on the stamps was. I still have quite a few of those old licenses. Wish I'd kept them all.

I buy it at a gas station in Oswego county on a Sunday evening on the way home from camp. No crowd.
      About 100 bucks . I still have a lot of them old licenses with the collector stamp. I wish they still used them.

I wish they made the habitat stamp mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

About 100 bucks . I still have a lot of them old licenses with the collector stamp. I wish they still used them.

I wish they made the habitat stamp mandatory.
        I know, the state doesn't make much from it. I remember a few years back, they put out a press release basically asking people how it ought to be spent. I think they turned it into mini-grants for landowners looking to do some forest management. Can't remember just how that went; I'll do a little searching and see if I can find those news articles.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

I know, the state doesn't make much from it. I remember a few years back, they put out a press release basically asking people how it ought to be spent. I think they turned it into mini-grants for landowners looking to do some forest management. Can't remember just how that went; I'll do a little searching and see if I can find those news articles.
          The stamp sold well the first year.
          The next year they released what they spent money on and some of it was in NY city . It didn't sit well with friends of mine and they never purchased one again.

Comment

https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/47452.html

Comment

https://www.pressrepublican.com/spor...7e1d0f3a3.html

Here's an article from 2017. It says they sold about 20 thousand of them that year.

Comment

Last hunting license I bought was $56.
                You buy the license then you have to buy a $20 deer tag. To fully tag out, seven deer, it costs $140 for tags. That's $196 for all deer tags. Then there is the turkey tags. Three annually, so figure another $30.
                So, for a full year, tags and license will cost a resident hunter $226!
                That doesn't include access fees to some of Oklahoma's management areas.
                Oh yeah, Fed Duck stamp.

In Texas, you purchase a "Combination Hunting and Fishing" license. I think it's like, $75 now.
                That comes with all appropriate annual tags for whitetail, mule deer and turkeys.
                There is an archery stamp and some salt water fishing stamps or tags, but for the single sum, you get all the tags you're allowed in a year.

Comment

Lifetime license holder so my tags come in the mail, the Kid and I actually got this years a couple weeks ago. My daughters came last week.

We do still have to put in for DMP’s. I usually go to the town clerk for those. A few years back I was at a big box so figured to save a trip I’d take care of it then. I qualify for a guaranteed landowner tag but the girl screwed up the application and I got turned down. Won’t be doing that again. I could go online but it’s not that big of a deal to stop in town, plus I leave with whatever tags in hand rather than wait and chance the mail.

So Matt, what did you end up drawing? First or second choice or both?

Comment

Looking around in the computer old NY back tags are worth upwards of $20. I think I have every one since I started hunting NY. In the '50's we had to sew them on the back of our coat. Then came plastic holders, now you get a credit card.

Comment

Just put in for my lifetime, doesn't include deer or turkey.Did not get drawn for bear.(1st year Missouri has a season so it would have been cool to just have 1) Usually I buy my tag whenever I think about it when I'm somewhere that sells them. We are an any deer state so no special tag for does, although if you know you'll be shooting only a doe and can let a buck walk you can purchase a doe only tag for $7. Same for units that allow extra does to taken, just buy aover the counter antlerlese tag and go. Tags aren't unit specific.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post
                        https://www.pressrepublican.com/spor...7e1d0f3a3.html

Here's an article from 2017. It says they sold about 20 thousand of them that year.
                        Thanks for finding that. I do remember there being some disagreement about what it was used for.

For a while they were sending out nice little pins when you got one. I kinda shook my head about that, wondering if maybe it had cost more to make the pins than the stamp sale brought in -- but it was a nice gesture and they were nice pins.
                        Last edited by MattM37; 08-05-2021, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                          Lifetime license holder so my tags come in the mail, the Kid and I actually got this years a couple weeks ago. My daughters came last week.

We do still have to put in for DMP’s. I usually go to the town clerk for those. A few years back I was at a big box so figured to save a trip I’d take care of it then. I qualify for a guaranteed landowner tag but the girl screwed up the application and I got turned down. Won’t be doing that again. I could go online but it’s not that big of a deal to stop in town, plus I leave with whatever tags in hand rather than wait and chance the mail.

So Matt, what did you end up drawing? First or second choice or both?
                          I had two of our land's WMA last year, went for both again this year, knowing I'd probably just get the one, which is how it went. Past two or three years, I haven't specified any different WMA for second choice -- when I used to, I'd always get the one asked for, but then I'd never actually get over there to hunt. If there's a chance for two permits right here at home, I'll take it. Come to think of it, I never did look yesterday at the chart for the odds on getting the second one. That's okay, one's enough -- especially since I'll probably have a good freezerful from that Opening Day buck. Yep, mmm-hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                            Looking around in the computer old NY back tags are worth upwards of $20. I think I have every one since I started hunting NY. In the '50's we had to sew them on the back of our coat. Then came plastic holders, now you get a credit card.
                            What do you mean by a back-tag credit card?
                            Last edited by MattM37; 08-05-2021, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                              Yup, them old stamps have become collectable. Both state and Federal. I get my license at Ace hardware. Give them DL, say what you want, boom, computer spits out and I sign.
                              I bought a Redding "Powder & Bullet" scale out of a pawn shop years ago. The wife was looking at the instruction "book" (an 8.5×10 sheet of paper folded twice) when something fell out.
                              It was an unsigned 1959 Federal Duck Stamp!
                              I paid $20 for the scale.
                              The stamp is worth +/-$80! 😳!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Real Quiet
                                by franchi20
                                Describe something he's done that's defendable. Afghanistan? Immigration? Retaliatory drone strike? Covid19 mitigation? There must be something. No, wait....
                                Today, 12:40 PM
                              • Real Quiet
                                by jhjimbo
                                Dosen't anybody have an original thought ?
                                Yesterday, 12:23 AM
                              • Reply to TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                                by fitch270
                                I need a vacation myself.

Today, 12:23 PM
                              • TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                                by fitch270
                                So I mentioned this last week, we’ve posted a few songs off soundtracks before but I think there’s loads of material left to cover. Not only are there...
                                09-16-2021, 11:01 PM
                              • Reply to Real Quiet
                                by Pmacc60
                                How can you not pile on, this administration is a disgrace to this country !! Muppet was a great description ! This guy would not be in office after the...
                                Today, 12:19 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X